tyrnos problems

Started by alantani, July 22, 2010, 06:06:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alantani

shimano, and every other reel company, has people that scour the internet looking for posts on their products. 

they know ...........
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

BigT

I've noticed a massive change in the level of service from a couple of the bigger reel companies' local service departments here in Oz lately. I think that the much higher profile and level of discussion of reel maintenance is having some positive effects beyond just helping us all to look after our own gear, Alan!!

Cheers, T
more of my rebuilds on
http://www.fishraider.com.au

alantani

so here's the "evolution" that i have seen.  10 years ago, a company would "buy" a representative on a particular board.  it was usually someone of prominence and that person is offered gear at half price and there was some tacit understanding that this person would promote and defend the product on their internet board.  if they tell people what the arrangement is ahead of time, then there is no problem.  that did not always happen.  and to make matters worse, sometimes the guys they picked let their egos get in the way and that's how fights got started.  for the most part, i think that has stopped. 

i think what happened was that reel manufacturers realized that this tactic was hurting their business.  i think this lead to a change for the good.  they started letting knowledable staff people identify themselves as company reps and honestly field questions.  there was sometimes a limit to what they could say, but their answers were always civil and non-confrontational.  they brought a level of professionalism to the discussion that had been sorely lacking.  dan from shimano (magmaster on bloodydecks and bantam1 everywhere else), rick ozaki of avet, matt harper and ben seacrest of accurate, john bretza of okuma, and the unflappable steve carson (tunanorth) from penn, are examples of industry representatives of the highest caliber.  as industry representatives, however, they must always answer a question by first saying "we believe......".  it does not matter what their personal opinions are.  they have to tow the company line. 

still, this is a change and it is for the better.  and when i get back, you'll get the full story on the okuma reels that i'm taking with me on my trip!

edgarz

Alan when are you going to show a beef up of the Tyrnos 10?

alantani

honestly, it's going to be a long time.  there are just so many worthy reels out there.  the entire tyrnos line deserves discussion.  they are great reels.  each rebuild post takes a minumum 8 hours from start to finish.  that's a whole day's worth of work.  i just finished the makaira 8, the andros 5 and an essay on the importance of secondary education of adolescent girls in third world developing nations that my daughter needed help writing.  that took 12 horus this last sunday, but we finished!  i need a clone of me just to get the housework done!

Roger

Multi-tasking Alan, Multi-tasking.............
Roger

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."   Mark Twain

Nessie Hunter

Hello every one!!!
Brand new member here. 
Some of you may have seen me on the fishing boards?? 

I also live up here in the desert near Dawn & Smoothdrags,  Hi Dawn!!!! (Frank Catalano)...

I just opened six (6) Brand new Trynos Reels 8, 10, 10, 12, 16, 20....!!!!!!

They all have the Bad/soft/decaying drag washer in them... 
To late today to call Shimano, but you can bet I will be on the phone when they open Thur!!!

Is Shimano the only Way to go for the Washers right now, & are they replacing them free??
Saw some talk above about aftermarket Carbontex being made.... ???

Good to be here as a member, just recently found this place and havnt lurked for long, honest!! lol

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....
WOW!!! WHAT A RIDE!

alantani

frank, welcome!  uggh, ok, i'm thinking it's time to start looking at a carbontex replacement washer.  to get dawn off to a decent start, it would have to be coordiated with a rebuild post.  that will be the hard part.   :-\

but first, we need a new washer.  dawn, what do you think?  alan

Nessie Hunter

I have to many to do a full Tutorial on them.  
The guy wants all 17 (Seventeen) reels ready for Cabo in a couple of weeks !!!   ???

But I can do a few quick pics as I get into them??
Will also Mic the washers for you, Dawn etc...  
Have almost a full set from 8 to 20 size...

Ill also let ya know what Shimano says in the morning!!! ???  

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....
WOW!!! WHAT A RIDE!

alantani

just spoke to matt at shimano.  he is sending me two drag washers for the tyrnos 8 two speed.  he now has only one left.  they will back ordered until june.  dawn, how fast can you have a drag washer made? 

Nessie Hunter

I just got off the phone with Dave at Shimano!!! 

Was told policy is Send them in !!!  With receipt for 1 tr warranty check...
They will determine if they qualify and fix or repair accordingly!!!!

BUT all the washers except 20 II are on back order until END OF JULY!!!! 

WTF, Told him how pissed I was and needed options, he said there were no options that was "policy".

Prices;
Tryn  8 II  = $8.33
Tryn 10 II = $8.33
Tryn 12 II = $10.41
Tryn 16 II = $10.41
Tryn 20 II = $20.45  (this one was in stock) 

What do I do now??   I cant even get them to do the repairs!!! (according to Dave anyway)...

WOW!!! WHAT A RIDE!

alantani

the guy i spoke to 20 minutes ago was named matt.  i had him look at this post.  you might want to call back and ask specifically for him.  both he and chin are aware of this issue.  matt said they had a batch with bad epoxy.  new washers are en route.  he will have a computer in front of him and he can go straight to this post.  he can also look at the post that you have on bloody decks.  we only get 10,000 hits a day.  bloodydecks get a million a day!

when shimano gets the new batch of drag washers, they should be fine.  honestly, though, you know dawn.  call her, point her to this post and tell her that it is time to make a tyrnos drag washer set. we can support her with a series of rebuild posts on these reels.  if we are going to ask her to do something for us, it is only fair that we do something for her in return. 

Dawn

I will get with Frank since he has all the reels handy, get the sizes etc and see what I can do.
It would probably take a month or so, get material, these I would get water cut, so it depends on when he can get to it also.

Dawn
Dawn

kamuwela

shimano has treated me well over the year's. they have great service and friendly employee's. as for the drag washer i have no clue. they make a quality product and honor it well. it does take awhile to get through on the phone but they sure act fast. everything else i need i get through scott's bait and tackle

Nessie Hunter

Read the above and called Matt!!! (been on the phone for almost an Hour with him)..

After telling me they were all just fine, and Alan had a lot of use on his reels so failure was expected??
The 2 new washers he sent to Alan were probably just the same as the ones that failed!!   ::)
(check em out good Alan)!!  lol

I gave him all the production numbers (round sticker on reel foot) he said 2 were of known bad quality the rest (4) were newer washers, with improved epoxy in them!!!!

Bad were = DK-P & FF-P # Prior to Aug 2008 production..
The GI-P, GH-P & FI-P were newer improved Epoxy type!!!

He continued that the new Epoxy and washers were made "after Aug 2008".. And Those would not be replaced at all,unless worn or other wise bad,  or replaced with the same run of washers!!!!
And that would depend on Purchase date on Receipt !!!!  

My argument...  
The New ones GI, GH, FF have the softest spungiest materials and are sticking to the Drag plate, More then the 2 that are said to be Bad quality!!!!  
The DK-P feels almost OK and not spungy?? The FF-P is terrible and is shredding!!! (the 2 # that were known as bad)

I understand that sending them in for inspection is probably the only way to get them on the list of defective run/replacement drags..

I told him we were not on the same page as what I was seeing/feeling was not what he was saying.
He said if I sent them in and the drags were replaced they would more then likely be the same material thats in them now!!!!

OK,  I dont want to say anything that wont come out proper and I know Shimano puts out a good quality product and has some of the best Service etc in the world..  
I have never had a problem with them and order a lot of parts, The best!!!
So Ill keep my mouth shut....

But will post this info on the boards!!  
Maybe they will listen and save some other poor angler some heartache on the toad of a lifetime...

I will try and cut down some Larger Carbontex and fix this myself..   Dawn!!   lol

WOW!!! WHAT A RIDE!