Daiwa Sealine 600 H Manufacture Date ?

Started by Wompus Cat, October 26, 2021, 01:11:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wompus Cat

Any info about when the Daiwa Sea Line 600 H Reel was first made .

I just got this one and went through it and was impressed with the way it is built and the Quality of the Parts as well as pretty Simple to do .

If a Grass Hopper Carried a Shotgun then the Birds wouldn't MESS with Him

day0ne

One thing to note. The silver frames don't seem to be as strong as the black frames and are prone to bending if dropped. At least that is the case for the 400H
David

"Lately it occurs to me: What a long, strange trip it's been." - R. Hunter

Porthos

Sharkb8

Picture taken from the 1986 catalogue

Kim

Wompus Cat

Thank you Sharb8 .That is perzactly what I was looking for .
Now going out on a Limb here .......any info on the production run as in when they Quit making this one ?

Porthos

Those catalog pages are for the later black one-piece frame models. If Tunanorth (currently pro-staffer for Penn) states that the older silver frames started showing up in the U.S. in 1978, would be comfortable accepting that as accurate since the larger Sealines were competition to the Senators.

Factoring 1-2 years of possible initial JDM release, a production start date of 1976 or 1977 seems reasonable.

Last saw the 400H on the Daiwa product page about 3-4 years ago.

Can always email Daiwa for final confirmation...assuming there's anyone still around who knows the Sealine's history back 40+ years.

Wompus Cat

Quote from: Porthos on October 26, 2021, 03:44:58 PM
Those catalog pages are for the later black one-piece frame models. If Tunanorth (currently pro-staffer for Penn) states that the older silver frames started showing up in the U.S. in 1978, would be comfortable accepting that as accurate since the larger Sealines were competition to the Senators.

Factoring 1-2 years of possible initial JDM release, a production start date of 1976 or 1977 seems reasonable.

Last saw the 400H on the Daiwa product page about 3-4 years ago.

Can always email Daiwa for final confirmation...assuming there's anyone still around who knows the Sealine's history back 40+ years.

So  you are of the opinion that the Plain Aluminum (Non Anodized Frame ) predates the Black Anodized Frame .
and the production end  of the 400 H was (Maybey 600 H ? too) was 2017-2018 ?
and thanks for the info so far and suggesting to contact Penn directly .

Porthos

All the pics on Daiwa's product pages since at least 2009 (when I first got into the Sealines with the 600H's) unitl the last one seen with the 400H were of the dark framed ones. From this alone, the implication is that the silver ones (with softer aluminum) are older; have not read anything to the contrary.

Another indicator is that the reels smaller than the 300H (27, 47, 50H, 170 SMF, and 250 SMF's) and the bigger 900H have not turned up in any search with silver frames. Here is an ad from 1983 for the SMF 170H:
https://www.vintagepaperads.com/1983-Daiwa-Sealine-Magforce-SMF-170H-Reel-Ad_p_52569.html

This would indicate that Daiwa switched from the silver frames to the anodized ones as far back as 1983.

Tunanorth is a member here and on BD Outdoors; you can probably PM him.

Rancanfish

Did I miss something?  Why contact the Penn rep? Ah, nevermind,  I see it now.
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

Porthos

Quote from: Rancanfish on October 26, 2021, 09:24:28 PM
Did I miss something?  Why contact the Penn rep? Ah, nevermind,  I see it now.

No worries, Randy. I'll let you know if I was drinking from the Krazy Kool Aid bucket.