Magforce 170

Started by Shark Hunter, June 24, 2014, 11:36:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shark Hunter

Anyone know anything about a Daiwa Magforce 170? My Son, just picked one up and we need to slap some new drags in there.
Life is Good!

alantani

looks like you really scored!  it's pretty basic inside.  just do the standard stuff. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

day0ne

Dawn has drags, I believe. Too bad it wasn't a 170H. They have the bigger drags from the 250 SMF. I have both and like them a lot. Like Alan says, pretty basic. Think Penn (except for the mag casting brakes). BTW, that one looks to be in great shape. They were made back in the 70's I believe and were JDM. Not many around, compared to other Sealines
David

"Lately it occurs to me: What a long, strange trip it's been." - R. Hunter

Shark Hunter

I just copied that pic from a link my boy sent me. Its not his actual reel. That's good to know about the 170H. Definitely JDM.
Life is Good!

Kreate

It's the 170H.  Good to hear about the larger drag washers as I'm planning on using this as a casting setup for smaller/medium sharks.  Any ideas on the drag this thing will be generating with some carbon drag washers?   

Kreate

Here's a pic of the reel.  Got it for $40.00 off of Fleabay  ;D.  It's mounted on a 12ft Penn Prevail surf rod (clamp to be added shortly).

I've been making up some 5ft steel leaders out of 270lb cable and what I believe to be 12/0 circle hooks. (and yes that is what my coffee table looks like) 

Hoping to get down to the coast next month to catch some large toothy fish.  Should be a blast on this combo!  We just have to figure out whether to hit the Gulf or somewhere in the OB. 

day0ne

Except for the mag casting brake, the info Alan has on the Sealine 50H should be close. http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=18.0 Dawn has the drag washers, they are listed under the Daiwa 50H, which has the same size washers. It is probably possible to assemble a 5+1 stack for these reels, but I haven't tried it yet. One thing to look out for when using carbontex washers. Some of these reels have a ridge on the inside of the main gear that is taller than the  carbontex washer. This means that the first metal washer rides on the main gear, not the drag washer and lessens your drag. I use something to grind down that ridge. If you look at the 8th and 9th picture on Alan's tutorial on the 50H you can see that ridge.
David

"Lately it occurs to me: What a long, strange trip it's been." - R. Hunter

Kreate

Thank you dayOne.  I'm going to try for a 5+1 on this reel so the heads up on the ridge is appreciated.   

Rancanfish

I know this thread is old but just wanted to clarify that a Smf170h main gear 'does not' have a ridge inside.  The Smf170 does.

Both the 47h and 50h I've had apart do.
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

foakes

If one of these has a ridge -- you can just throw an extra greased CF on the bottom of the stack inside the gear. 

That is a quick and dirty fix that will last forever, if you do not want to grind down the ridge.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Rancanfish

Darn, I just tore apart my 170 and discovered it has the same drags as the 47h.  Not a problem except I only ordered one set of six CF discs for the 47h.  (They get doubled up). The ebay'er took 9 days before he dropped 'em in the mail. Gotta find a new source again.

The existing original drags were stuck hard to the metal washers.

I had my first ever broken side plate screw today too. I tried every extractor I had but was having no luck. Lastly I put the Craftsman screw extractor in a driver-drill and carved a cone.  Then I drilled slowly in the center until it poked thru the screw on the inside of the frame. Dead center!  Turned the extractor by hand with a small Crescent and it popped right out.  No thread damage at all.  Got lucky there.

fIsHsTiiCkS

Randy, Dawn is a good source for the cf. Got a set from her before.

Rancanfish

Dawn is an incredible source.  But, and I'm sure it's my fault, but I am never sure which # to order, and I have a bit of trouble navigating her site.  It has a price list that doesn't show individual drag prices.

I mean I have to double up CF's to get the right thickness, but the price list reflects kits that contain four, but I need six.

I know I could call, and I have even written down the phone#, but...........

The ebay guy was quick with an answer, and two clicks of a mouse I had them the first time. My drags showed up in four days. This time he didn't drop them in the mail for nine days, and it took 14 total.  My reel laid there for too long. Lost me as a customer.

fIsHsTiiCkS

Quote from: Rancanfish on June 28, 2015, 03:07:28 PM
Dawn is an incredible source.  But, and I'm sure it's my fault, but I am never sure which # to order, and I have a bit of trouble navigating her site.  It has a price list that doesn't show individual drag prices.

I mean I have to double up CF's to get the right thickness, but the price list reflects kits that contain four, but I need six.

I know I could call, and I have even written down the phone#, but...........

The ebay guy was quick with an answer, and two clicks of a mouse I had them the first time. My drags showed up in four days. This time he didn't drop them in the mail for nine days, and it took 14 total.  My reel laid there for too long. Lost me as a customer.

I would call her, as I'm almost sure she has a kit for the 47h and if not is amazing to work with!

Riy2018

Quote from: Kreate on June 25, 2014, 02:48:55 AM
Here's a pic of the reel.  Got it for $40.00 off of Fleabay  ;D.  It's mounted on a 12ft Penn Prevail surf rod (clamp to be added shortly).

I've been making up some 5ft steel leaders out of 270lb cable and what I believe to be 12/0 circle hooks. (and yes that is what my coffee table looks like) 

Hoping to get down to the coast next month to catch some large toothy fish.  Should be a blast on this combo!  We just have to figure out whether to hit the Gulf or somewhere in the OB. 

Good Day.
Where can I find more information on these reels. 170 ans 250. How to services them. thx