D.A.M. Quick 110N -- Bullet Proof Little Microlite

Started by foakes, June 28, 2014, 01:13:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

erikpowell

Love your work Fred, and your workshop.  ;)
Thanks for sharing

basto

Quote from: foakes on September 09, 2014, 06:43:35 AM
The 220 is a great size reel -- comparable to a Mitchell 300 -- only much stronger with double frame supported steel worm-drive, bronze main gear, oversize ball bearing, aluminum bodies and rotors, no pot metal anywhere inside or out.

Crisp, strong bail action.

A fairly rare Quick that I really like is the 221. 

Same size as a 220 -- but has 5-1 high speed gears instead of 3-1, longer crank for more torque, has a red S on the side denoting high speed.

Best,
Yes, I was amused by the way the little  AR toggle switch underneath would wiggle up and down when the handle turned.

Fred
DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n

foakes

The anti reverse mechanism is only (1) of the brilliant engineering ideas in a DAM Quick reel.  Unlike a lot of spinners, where the anti reverse is attached to the rotating head, or a pot metal cog on the upper body of a reel -- on the Quick Finessa series, the A/R is the small lever that Basto is referring to -- under the handle.  There are 8 indented holes on the inner main gear which will catch the spring loaded A/R cog as the main gear revolves.  This causes the wiggle in the A/R lever.  Also makes a neat solid clicking sound that let's you know everything is in order.  This gear is machined bronze.  The bodies, sideplates, and rotors are all aircraft grade machined aluminum.  All of the Quicks from the smallest to the largest are over engineered, and built to last and not fail.  

Comparing the standard Quick 220, with a standard Mitchell 300 -- reveals some big differences.  The Mitchell is a very fine reel -- in my opinion, it looks better, and in most cases will hold up well.  The Quick just is built tougher as to materials, strength, engineering, and the ability to land large fish continually without wearing out or blowing up.  It doesn't look as sleek, is a little heavier -- but if you bought a 40 year old used one now, serviced and brought it up to as new, fished it regularly for the next 30 years -- you could still give it to your kids, and they would use it.

Here is a comparison between the 300 & 220:

Below is an inside comparison showing the mostly pot metal or aluminum gears in a 300 -- and the machined parts out of a 220.  On the 220 parts, note the machined bronze gear that interacts with the steel machined worm drive shaft, the steel handle shaft attached directly to the gear, and the oversize HD ball bearing (the 300 does not have a ball bearing -- just a bushing).  All of this works in unison to transfer energy from the crank to the rotating head -- with as little loss in direct strength and control, as possible.

The Quicks either have metal drag knobs, or plastic with a metal under surface contacting the drag stack.  In many cases, the Quicks have Hex drags & SS discs -- way ahead of their time.  In all cases, greased CF will improve their performance greatly.

Here are 21 of the most popular DAM Quicks I generally work on.  They include the 265 Microlite, SW68, 240 Junior, 238, 248, 280 Finessa, and the 270 Super.

Middle row going down is the Finessa Series: 110, 220, 221, 330, 331, 440, & 550.

Bottom row includes: 110N, 220N, 330N, 331N, 440N, 441N, & 550N.

I am fortunate to have a very large supply of NOS DAM Quick parts.  Occasionally, I will just pull out the parts necessary, and put a reel together from scratch.  Brand new reel -- no box!

Last year I was wondering why I had so many gears, shafts, worm drives, etc.  Bought these from Quick many years ago, before they stopped German production and went to Asia.  The reason finally occurred to me when I realized -- that of the thousands of DAM Quick reels I have repaired, restored, and serviced -- I have never seen a gear, worm drive, crank axle, or A/R failure.  Unfortunately, I have a lot of those parts as NOS, that I have never used.

Best,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

Alto Mare

Fred, I'm wondering if you happen to know where I could find a spool shaft for a Dam Quick reel.
Just kidding ;D
Very impressive ;).
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

foakes

These old Quicks have a lot of hidden features, that the average angler never knows about.

Such as the 3 position adjuster on the "N" series and later -- for a lighter or firmer bail snap.

Ability to switch handles from side to side on most models.

Ability to release the trip lever backwards -- in order to take the pressure off the bail spring when not in use.

Ability to fold the handle down.

Push button spool release.

Tungsten line roller.

If anyone has an old green Super (275 2-Speed) -- I would like to buy one to experiment with some salt mods.

Cash or trade -- let me know...

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

basto

Fred
Thank you for sharing your knowledge of these reels. Very interesting indeed!
I once had a DAM bait caster,(800B?) that had many of it`s parts replaceable with the ABU 5000C series.
cheers
Basto
DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n

TomT

I got one a couple of years ago in a bulk buy.  Once I locate it, I will contact you if I think it is worthy of your attention--you already have most of the bases covered!!
TomT

foakes

--------

Fred O.

TomT

Fred,
Found my Dam Quick already--which is pretty dam quick for me. :D    It is one you already have--not the 2 speed.  Mine is the 331n.
Sorry I couldn't help.
TomT

foakes

Thanks for trying anyway, Tom --

331N is a very good reel.

The "N" denotes the newer style after the Finessa Series -- late 70s to to early 80s.

And the "1" means it is a high speed retrieve -- 5/1 instead of 3/1 like a 330N.

All the Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.

Tiddlerbasher

Irish Jigger

Very impressive workshop you have there Fred.
Only question I have is how do you get time for fishing?

Mudguts

Awesome collection there Fred.. I love those DAM reels.
Thanks for sharing

EccentricRuss

Very impressive Fred.  I am always fascinated by reading about reels that unfortunately reached their zenith, before my time.  They look extremely well built and I have passed on similar reels in auction, because I didn't know what they were.

And like others, I am envious of your shop.

Russ