D.A.M. Quick 110N -- Bullet Proof Little Microlite

Started by foakes, June 28, 2014, 01:13:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

foakes

You should consider getting it at that price and condition --

If you did not want it -- I would buy it from you.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

newfuturevintage

Quote from: foakes on April 29, 2015, 11:24:06 PM
You should consider getting it at that price and condition --

If you did not want it -- I would buy it from you.

Best,

Fred

Definitely looks minimally used.  I might just have to swing by and check it out.  Will let you know if I buy and decide against keeping it!

foakes

Yes,

I have handled 100s of those -- and I can tell from pics of the complete package, that all it would need is a complete cleaning to evacuate the old hardened brown grease -- then a relube, and that is it.

Good luck,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

jeff smith

Great thread Fred and a stunning workshop you have there. I've just got my first Dam Quick-a 440N that I intend to put to use. I've P.M'd you sir.

foakes

Hi Jeff --

Here is the schematic you asked for --

Along with a complete parts list --

440N is a good and fairly rare reel in good condition or not.

It is the same body and gearing as the 330N -- just a larger rotor head, spool, and longer crank.

If there is anything else you need in the way of parts, or information -- let me know.

Good luck -- nice find!

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.

fsrmn

What are the differences between the 110N and the 110 Finessa?
Not all fishing is done with rod and reel.

jeff smith

foakes

Hi Henry --

In answer to your question about the differences between a 110 Finessa and the 110N --

They are both Microlite reels, in the D.A.M. Quick line -- but they are vastly different -- although both are of very high quality.  The main difference, to me, would be the anti-reverse system.

The anti-reverse system in the 110 utilizes an angled/beveled sturdy metal stop that spring inserts into 8 holes on the back side of the bronze main gear.  Simple, positive, strong -- since the anti reverse feature is close to the handle in the drive train -- not up in the rotor -- or at the end of the drive system, like on the 110N.

The 110 Main gear is phosphor cut bronze, with a steel worm drive going through an oversize ball bearing -- then connected to the rotor.  The steel axle connecting the crank handle to the main gear is oversized steel.

The 110N has an aluminum stop that interacts with the inside edge of the rotor -- not as good as the 110 in my opinion -- but still a very good design.

The earlier 265 Microlite has a strong drive train also -- but the 110 has the strongest.

There are two words that do not translate from English or Chinese -- to the German engineers, very well...Acceptable Slop.

The tolerances on these Quicks are down to a mil or two.  After 40 or 50 years -- they are still at a mil or two.

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.

fsrmn

Thanks for the information. Looks like I ordered the right one from you. The 110 Finessa seems like it will be the best for bass fishing here. They hit hard and put a lot of pressure on the anti-reverse especially with the drag upgrade. I prefer brass over aluminum any time.

jeff smith

Quote from: fsrmn on May 07, 2015, 11:42:08 PM
Thanks for the information. Looks like I ordered the right one from you. The 110 Finessa seems like it will be the best for bass fishing here. They hit hard and put a lot of pressure on the anti-reverse especially with the drag upgrade. I prefer brass over aluminum any time.

How did you upgrade the drag ?

fsrmn

I replace the original drag material with cf.

jeff smith

Quote from: fsrmn on May 09, 2015, 02:33:12 PM
I replace the original drag material with cf.
There seems to be a bit of space in the spool to add maybe an extra washer or two as well??

fsrmn

The way the drag works is friction between the spool and keyed steel washer against the cf. Without an eared washer I don't think adding another cf would increase the drag.

foakes

One of the guys on our site, Andy from Georgia, wanted an old D.A.M. Quick 220 over-hauled, serviced and restored.

Here it is before and after -- runs like a top now.

Used a laser to true up the spool shaft -- since it was slightly bent.

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.

Rick77

Cleaning up 40+ year old Quick 331 used exclusively in salt water. Ran into a major problem. The brake spindle (spool shaft) is corroded to the main axle shaft. I've soaked it for a few days in a rust penetrant, no luck.
Any help will be appreciated.