Penn "SS" Spinfisher (Pre-"00" Series ) vs. Daiwa "BG" Spinning Reels

Started by ez2cdave, July 02, 2014, 09:06:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alto Mare

Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Florida Cracker

I have a 430 that I purchased new back in the day. It's been a dependable, smooth operating reel. I recently restored it to near new condition. Just wish Penn would have kept making parts for them. As for Diawa's. I only have two 7000c's on surfrods that have withstood the years and built like tanks.

Jeri

So, when exactly did Penn stop making the Spinfishers in the USA, with all the heavy duty construction??

Just a research question.

Cheers from suny Africa

Jeri

oc1

Quote from: Jeri on April 09, 2018, 10:10:45 PM
when exactly did Penn stop making the Spinfishers in the USA
Mystic Reel Parts says mid-1970's for the greenie, 2001 for the Z series and 2005 for the SS series.
-steve

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"

Alto Mare

So, when exactly did Penn stop making the Spinfishers in the USA, with all the heavy duty construction??

Cheers from suny Africa

Jeri
Hello Jeri...just a research question or were you thinking of giving one a try? I would love to see you use one in one of your competitions ;D

Some Spinnfishers are still manufactured today at the same location the earlier ones were once made. These were brought back by popular demand.

Best,

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Jeri

Quote from: Alto Mare on April 10, 2018, 10:32:52 AM

Cheers from suny Africa

Jeri
Hello Jeri...just a research question or were you thinking of giving one a try? I would love to see you use one in one of your competitions ;D

Some Spinnfishers are still manufactured today at the same location the earlier ones were once made. These were brought back by popular demand.

Best,

Sal

No, I have one that I bought about 20 years ago, and it is built like a tank, though casts like a donkey.

I'm researching a magazine article on the demise in build of fixed spools, from solid construction, has only been servcied once in 20 years Penn Spinfisher - to modern reels that the slightest sign of water, they fill up with water and all the soft metal gears 'melt'. So, are we accepting that these days we should consider them a 'consumable' product, or just very fragile.

Our fishery has gone over to fixed spools and braid, and getting a reel to last more than 12 months is an achievement - about the only ones to last are Quantum Cabo, with their deliberate drain system and the odd Penn Battle III. Other than that - buy, use for 12 months and hope that it lasts that long!!! Admittedly, we are using them fully submerged at times, but still - sea reels that melt with a little salt water!!!

Alto Mare

Quote from: Jeri on April 10, 2018, 12:50:20 PM
Quote from: Alto Mare on April 10, 2018, 10:32:52 AM

Cheers from suny Africa

Jeri

Best,

Sal

No, I have one that I bought about 20 years ago, and it is built like a tank, though casts like a donkey.

I'm researching a magazine article on the demise in build of fixed spools, from solid construction, has only been servcied once in 20 years Penn Spinfisher - to modern reels that the slightest sign of water, they fill up with water and all the soft metal gears 'melt'. So, are we accepting that these days we should consider them a 'consumable' product, or just very fragile.

Our fishery has gone over to fixed spools and braid, and getting a reel to last more than 12 months is an achievement - about the only ones to last are Quantum Cabo, with their deliberate drain system and the odd Penn Battle III. Other than that - buy, use for 12 months and hope that it lasts that long!!! Admittedly, we are using them fully submerged at times, but still - sea reels that melt with a little salt water!!!
That was a joke Jeri :), I already now how you feel about those olderpenn tanks.
You guys enjoy using those extremely smooth reels with the disposable gears ;D

Jeri

Quote from: Alto Mare on April 10, 2018, 09:07:00 PM

That was a joke Jeri :), I already now how you feel about those olderpenn tanks.
You guys enjoy using those extremely smooth reels with the disposable gears ;D

The reel in question has been pressed into service a few times for a couple of ladies that have taken up competitive surf fishing, and needed a reel to cope with the big Bronzies. It worked well enough, but even fully loaded with braid, it lacked casting ability of more modern reels, and the drag is a little low when looking to slow down a big Bronzie heading for Brazil.

The dated design just lacks the modern finesse, but the build is unquestionably strong - an admirable reel. Just needs to be the standard modern reel makers - including Penn need to re-aquaint themselves with!!!!  ::)

Cheers from sunny Africa.

Jeri