cayucos and morrow bay - 2014

Started by alantani, July 06, 2014, 05:17:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alantani

cayucos 2014

since the kids were little, we've taken them to cayucos every 4th july.  it is a quick vacation filled with boggie boarding, fireworks, the local flea market, maybe a little perch fishing on the beach, and a traditional 4th of july parade.  cayucos is one of the few towns that still has a parade on the 4th.  it draws thousands of people into the little town.  we are fortunate to have a small vacation house here.  it's a great way to spend the 4th.

one thing i've always wanted to do is go rockcod fishing.  the last time i went rock cod fishing on the central california coast was 25 years ago, with my wife, when we were still dating.  yes, my wife actually went fishing with me, once, 25 years ago!  well this time i was fortunate enough to get an invitation from jon wood to fish out of morro bay.  jon picked me up at 5 this morning. 

we headed up the coast to san simeon and dropped in at 75 feed of water.  meet mike, jon's nephew.  amazing guy.  he picked up with lingcod on the very first drop of the morning. 

jon's older brother (and mike's dad) picked up this blue ling an hour later. 

the kid was on fire with three lings for the day. 

our host, jon, finally got one of his own. 

we finished the morning with 6 lings and limits of rockfish.

it took a while to clean the fish, and finally made it home for a shower and a snack.  i had to head back into morro bay for groceries, and took a detour this evening to see my friend, glenn fukumoto.  many of you will know him from the fisherman's warehouse in san jose and outdoor proshops in oakland.  now he manages the local shop and books the charters.

you all know allison!

i'll add more photos later.  hope you enjoyed the quick report!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Ron Jones

Glad to see you on the water, Alan!!
Part of the state I have never fished, would love to get up there some time. That blue ling is awesome!
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

redsetta

Nice one Alan!
Met Glenn in March and picked up a few of those sweatshirts for friends here.
Surfed Cayucos and MB a lot over the years.
My brother and nieces paddle out under the pier every year to watch the 4th fireworks from the water.
Love that part of the world!
Cheers, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

johndtuttle

Thanks for that Alan. Looks mighty flat out there for Morro bay! Great day on the water. :)

Keta

Looks like fun.  The last time I was in Morrow Bay we got to see the tidal wave from the Alaska earth quake.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Bryan Young

Love those Davis boats...locally made in the central coast area to boot.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Big Tim

We should hook up for a Sunday Long Range trip on the Princess...Brad usually takes us up to white Rocks area for a fantastic day of Rock Cod fishin'

Tim