Mitchell 600 4 ring Overhead

Started by jonnou, July 06, 2014, 08:50:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jonnou

I have tryed alot of methods. Punching, scissors, dremel.
But I have been using a sharp set of Dividers.
quick accurate and you can skip cut for eared washers. almost dust free.  easy ;) ;)
Just a stoke with a fine file before you start.

jonnou

Oh and to answer you question on the paint
It is still there and in good condition
the reel lives on the boat with a little penn 85
I dont bother taking them off.they just get a quick rinse and a spray with INOX
for the Kids and Sabikis or a Kahawai troll
Cheers Jon

spoolin01

Thanks, this is great.  I found this just after taking my 622 apart and it has been a big help with reassembly, especially the dog and the clutch cam.

Just a note - on mine that odd eared spring washer was on top of the drag stack, ears down.  I think I see it in the schematic - part 81715.  There was no spring shim or washer under the handle on the one I have.

jonnou

so glad this helped. makes it worthwhile  :) :)

UKChris

Great tutorial of the (in)famous Mitchell captain 622. This is the narrow version of the 624 and they are the two that have the mushroom handles - the 600 and 602 are smaller in diameter and have torpedo handles.

There were variants that have two chrome rings and variants with four chrome rings.

The drags were never smooth when new and certainly got worse when wet (and try keeping a reel dry on a boat) so replacing the washers might be a good option. However, they are pretty much workhorses and if you don't need a smooth drag, can find a spot on the boat. I have a 622 for mackerel feathering when all you need is drop down, jig 'em on the hooks and wind up.

tristan

Thanks for the tutorial, Jonnou.   I'll be referring to this when I tackle my 600 two ring version.

What type of paint did you use for the side plates?     How did you de-grease?

I'm looking into using a Spray epoxy meant for appliances on the sideplates of my 600.   I'm thinking that soaking in Dawn+HOT water, followed by some type of solvent may do the job.     Anyone have a better method?

Anyone know if the Penn 6-60 HT-100's work in the model 600?

Thanks.

jonnou

I just used a bit of turps then white Vinegar. paint wss just a cheap spray can.

jonnou

the drag washers were the same as a penn 85.

oldmanjoe

:) Great write up ..   I have two 624`s .   Both were nasty looking, to the point that i did not think they were going to clean up. 
Tooth brush and white vinegar proved me wrong .   Both have bad drags , the kind that the star turns 1 1/2 turns before it left free spool to start a drag and full lock up was about 10 to 15 pounds pull.      When i pulled it apart and measured the drag stack my measurement was bigger than what was written here .    After thinking about it ,I realized that some one installed the friction some what back wards .   Meaning that the thin ones  were on the bottom ,  the washer with the out side key does not go all the way to the bottom . The bucket slots stop half way down  .. so be mindful when installing the pack.    I did have some extra friction to play with ....  Now i have 1/4 turn before the drag kicks in  and a good 20 pound lock up ..   
This was the case for both reels .     joe
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

jonnou

amazing how they clean up!! haven't checked in for ages. nice reel to learn on !!