Pro Gear 541

Started by GotMojo, July 07, 2014, 09:05:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GotMojo

I just acquired a used Pro Gear 541.  Are there any mods or upgrades available for it?

Thanks

Gman

There are a number of upgrades you can do:

1. Stainless Steel Gear Sleeve (98-320AT from Penn Parts) (may require a new Penn 3-113H bridge, however)
2. Stainless Steel 4:1 gear and pinion (Pro Challenger)
3. Stainless Steel Dog (Smooth Drag)
4. 5+1 or 7+1 carbontex drag kits (Smooth Drag or Bryan Young)
5. Stainless Steel Yoke (the only source I know of is Ken's Custom Reel in Oceanside)
6. Tiburon or AT handle

GotMojo

Is there someone that I can send the reel to, to have those mods done?

Gman

See the following threads:

http://alantani.com/index.php?board=27.0
http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=277.0

Also, Ken's Custom Reel in Oceanside, California.

When you add the price of spectra, you can spend a lot of $$ upgrading your Pro Gears.

Hope that helps.

maxpowers

1.  you can use the oem bridge with the SS gear sleeve. 
2.  The prochallenger gears are 4:1 not 5:1.  You can also lower the gear ratio down to 3.25:1  with brass 113H    gears and pinion or you can find steel or s/s 3.25 gear set on ebay.
3.  I and socalangler both posted how to double-dogged the 541 on here.
4.  The yoke can be found with Keta on here but I do not know if he has any left.  If you are handy with the dremel or file, you can take a penn 500 S/S yoke and file the curvature to fit the oem.
5.  The s/s dogs can be bought from keta or from bryan/alan.
6.  Power Handle and arm can be bought from Alan or Ebay.

7. Or you can fish it as is until you need to upgrade. :-)

GotMojo

Thanks for the info.  I've sent Alan an email, hoping to hear back from him soon.  I'm on a 10 day in November, if anything starts to get interesting within range of the fleet, I may check it out. Otherwise I'm not in any big hurry.  It's a cool reel, I was totally unfamiliar with them until now. I'd like to optimize it as far as it will go.  I'm wondering why there's no clicker...

maxpowers

Quote from: GotMojo on July 08, 2014, 04:36:34 AM
Thanks for the info.  I've sent Alan an email, hoping to hear back from him soon.  I'm on a 10 day in November, if anything starts to get interesting within range of the fleet, I may check it out. Otherwise I'm not in any big hurry.  It's a cool reel, I was totally unfamiliar with them until now. I'd like to optimize it as far as it will go.  I'm wondering why there's no clicker...

Some have clickers, most don't.  I think when they were made it was gear toward live bait boat fishing or jig throwing hence no clicker.