Main Menu

Fish Taco's

Started by SoCalAngler, July 10, 2014, 02:00:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SoCalAngler

There is much to be said having to deal with all the headaches of living in the L.A./Orange County area but little things like this make some of them a little more bearably.

Fresh grilled blackened rockfish taco's with hand made tortilla's, home made mango salsa and avocado's tree ripened from my neighbor.

floating doc

Central Florida

Alto Mare

That looks yummy, Mark. Do you steal the avocados from your neighbor or does he give it to you ;D.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Shark Hunter

Those look Delicious Mark! :P
Life is Good!

400yfinn

I'm sitting at work drooling-thanks

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

conchydong

Yumm! Even better with a Newcastle!

DanteV

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

SoCalAngler

Yes I had a adult beverage or two with my taco's but I didn't want to advertise for the company....and yes they do taste better with a cold frosty beverage.

As far as the avacado's go it's a trade thing I get avies and he gets fresh fish. Kind of like the neighbor on the other side of me. He was throwing a way a mid sized old refrigerator with removable metal racks. I asked if I could have it and he said that it didn't work but if I wanted it I could take it. With 8 3/4" holes drilled into it, 4 on each side at the top, one small hotplate and one small cast iron skillet I have one heck of a smoker. It's funny I don't see this guy that often, not his fault or mine, but when I fire up the smoker it seems that he is outside the same time as me. Of course he loves smoked fish almost as much as I do :) and yes he gets some too.

ChileRelleno

Man, those look a lot better than Rubio's.
Ragnar Benson:
"Never, under any circumstances, ever become a refugee.
Die if you must, but die on your home turf with your face to the wind, not in some stinking hellhole 2,000 kilometers away, among people you neither know nor care about."

Dominick

Quote from: SoCalAngler on July 11, 2014, 01:57:14 AM
Yes I had a adult beverage or two with my taco's but I didn't want to advertise for the company....and yes they do taste better with a cold frosty beverage.

As far as the avacado's go it's a trade thing I get avies and he gets fresh fish. Kind of like the neighbor on the other side of me. He was throwing a way a mid sized old refrigerator with removable metal racks. I asked if I could have it and he said that it didn't work but if I wanted it I could take it. With 8 3/4" holes drilled into it, 4 on each side at the top, one small hotplate and one small cast iron skillet I have one heck of a smoker. It's funny I don't see this guy that often, not his fault or mine, but when I fire up the smoker it seems that he is outside the same time as me. Of course he loves smoked fish almost as much as I do :) and yes he gets some too.
Hey socal how about a tutorial about how to make a smoker out of a reefer or at least some photos.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

floating doc

Quote from: Dominick on July 27, 2014, 03:11:08 AM
Quote from: SoCalAngler on July 11, 2014, 01:57:14 AM

Hey socal how about a tutorial about how to make a smoker out of a reefer or at least some photos.  Dominick

Yeah, I'd like to see that!
Central Florida

SoCalAngler

The smoker is down in Baja a my fathers place now for about 6 months or so. It is really simple just drill the 8 holes around 2" or so down from the top spaced evenly on both sides is all you need to do. The door on the reefer shuts fine with the cord of the hotplate running out but on others you may need to cut a knotch in the seal where the cord comes out to get the door to close all the way. The key to the smoker/frig is the removable metal racks, I would not use a frig that didn't have these as a smoker. These work great for drying the fish after taking it out of the brine and then you just slide them into the smoker/frig. When the fish is done I slide them out remove fish clean them and back in the frig they go. The electric hotplate gets plenty hot to light the wood chips and adds enough heat to help the smoking. I could take pics then my father brings the smoker back but it is such a no brainer even I could do it :) Also take care when drilling old friges as they may have used asbestos as insulation.

Edit: I use a small to mid sized single burner hotplate and a small cast iron skillet for the wood chips and thats it......like I said pretty simple.

Big Tim

I have cooked your Tacos and they were good  ;D damn good  ;D but being the ultimate competitor I submit my photo of my lonely football meal on Thanksgiving ...On yours I even made the mango salsa but paid the freight on the tortillas  ;D