Hello all! Anyone seen the new andros reels?

Started by F0urtw3nt33, July 12, 2014, 07:50:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

F0urtw3nt33

Hello all! This is my first post.
Last night I broke down my calcutta 400, trini 16/20 and installed new cal sheets drags and ceramic bearings. Which was all made possible by you, Alan. Thank you for creating this awesome site! Shimano is sending me the dc pawls and spring, I might just post a video on YouTube of the rebuild in a week or so when I get em.
I need new reels. Not only stuff that works well here but something I can use down on my boat in Florida vertical jigging,  bottom fishing, sailfish, etc. It's funny almost all my rods there are spinners unless were trolling, and here they are all conventional.

Ok now to my problem. I was just about to buy a komodo 350 bait caster, cedros 8, cedros 10ld, mak 10sea, mak 16, and mak 20.
I wanted my spread to look like this to get started...
Reels
Calcutta 400 - bait, plastics
15# mono
Komodo 350 - plastics, jigs
50# - 5' top 20-30#
Trinidad 16 - bait, slider, flyline
300 yds 65# - 30#
Trinidad 20 - surface iron
300 yds 65#jb - 40# mono
Cedros 8ld - bait, (vert jigging fl)
50# - 5' top -40#
Cedros 10ld - yoyo, wahoo (vert jigging fl)
300 yds 65#jb - 50#
Makaira 10 - bait
65#jb full - 5' top 50#
Makaira 16 dropper loop, flyline tuna, trolling
100#jb - 5' top 80#
Makaira 20 - cow fishing
130# - top

But. I was just checking out tackle direct for some specs and noticed and entire new series of andros reels? These things have the same drag specs as the makairas but are available high gear 2 speed and are significantly lighter!!! How do the anti reverse mechanisms match up? Is this innovation or corner cutting? Should I stick to the makaira?
I feel that the andros could replace the cedros ld due to the two speed feature..
They're also cheaper? Whaat.
The andros 16 is 10 ounces lighter than the mak 16. Same drag, same line cap.
I guess I really just want some info on a reel no one probably knows exists yet... Lol

What do you guys think? Should I try em out?  If I like the first reels I will definitely be getting a second of each.

alantani

the andros reels are nice!  they are light, as you mentioned, and are not the "tanks" that the makairas are, but they will definitely perform within specs.  if you want a light set up, go with the andros.  if you are ok with more heft, get the makaira.
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!