AVET reels - latest info on which models have glued on drag washers

Started by fsh42na, July 18, 2014, 11:09:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fsh42na

Hi all,

I placed an order for an Avet SX MC but ended up cancelling the order after hearing about the glued on drag washers.  I'd rather be able to just replace the washers instead of both the spool and washer (or do they sell the washer and tell you how to remove old ones?).  Anyways, I'd like to find out if all the Avet's have the glued on drag or is it just specific models? 

thanks

alantani

all of the latest models have glued on drag washers.  i know that many of you are concerned.  just pull the spool out and grease the drag washer, make sure you get the edges and you should be fine.   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

fsh42na

Thanks Alan!  I ordered a couple of Penn reels (Fathom and Torque) after I cancelled the Avet SXJ order, but the looks and relative ease of maintenance on the Avet reels makes me really want one.

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

fsh42na

Gluing to the drag washer makes alot more sense like with my TLD 30-2!  The talk about the pinion bearings on the Avets makes me hesitant to pull the trigger.  May just stay with my Fathom and Torque coming on Monday.  Might give a Daiwa Saltist LD a whirl too.

Keta

If fished within it's designed drag range the pinion bearings on Avet reels are not a problem.  Every reel has it's weak points, Avet's is the pinion bearing.  if you want/need more drag in a smaller reel the Raptor series is a very good choice.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

SoCalAngler

Also with a carbonfiber drag washer the drag washer should last the lifetime of the reel. Like Alan said if you grease the drag washer water getting underneath it and causing corrosion should not be a problem. As far as the pinion bearing goes Keta is right on....stay in specs of any reel and you should be fine.

Would you drive your car at or above the RPM redline of the engine all the time and wonder why you have engine trouble? Same goes with the pinion bearing it is not ment to exceed the reels specs.

jaypeegee

What fishing style do you wish to use the Avet for?
I have an MXL and an LX
Both are very enjoyable
Neither have given me issues.

I use the MXL for rock fishing and med distance casting
The LX I use for live baiting for kingfish in NZ and also some heavier rock fishing needs.

If you are in super hostile environment where water gets into the reels or sand is blown into them then rinsing them with the drag on is pretty good to remove the sand and surface saltwater.

I haven't greased the washers yet but would if I was getting more water ingress.

fsh42na

I'll be using the reel for rock fishing/ Striped bass/ Halibut and possibly albacore.  Haven't had to the time or $ to do long range fishing for quite a while, but I wouldn't rule out a shorter multi-day summer trip in the future.  Maybe I should suck it up and grab a Raptor 2 speed or maybe an Accurate.  Have to admit an Avet Blue looks really nice and I'm not sure I can justify the $$$ of an Accurate.

Fracked

Does anyone make a 3rd party drag washer so I don't have to buy the entire spool to replace it? I have had my MXL 6/4 about 6 years. I have always kept the drag washer lubed. It is now warn and needs replacing.  I use this for mostly Salmon and Albacore.

Thanks!

akfish

The Raptor drag washers are free floating; they are not glued to anything.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

AJ