Penn 113HLW Grinding when switching to freespool

Started by westcoasttuna, July 20, 2014, 12:24:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alantani

screws threaded just at the end are used for the yoke and springs.  did you have all threaded screws in that spot?
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Tightlines667

Glad you got it sorted out.  Sometimes when reassembling the bridge the dog spring can get installed improperly or bent, the dog can bind if it has burrs or is corroded, or if the threaded screws are put where the yoke springs are they may interfere with the smooth operation of the yoke.  Always a good idea to test the right side plate operation after assembling it and before final installation.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Shark Hunter

Glad you got it sorted out. That reels looks awfully clean. Some grease will help with that shifting too. ;)
Life is Good!

westcoasttuna

Quote from: alantani on July 21, 2014, 03:16:11 AM
screws threaded just at the end are used for the yoke and springs.  did you had all threaded screws i that spot?
Yea, I put the two threaded screws where the tipped ones should have went.

Shark Hunter

Live and learn! ;) My first 12/0 build, I put the jack under the yoke instead of on top and had the eccentric lever backwards. Every time I put it back together, the yoke and jack would separate when I flipped the lever. It drove me nuts.
These guys are saints, and will walk you through any problem. About 50 Senators later, I'm still learning new tricks. ;)
Life is Good!

Dominick

Quote from: Shark Hunter on July 22, 2014, 05:35:05 AM
Live and learn! ;) My first 12/0 build, I put the jack under the yoke instead of on top and had the eccentric lever backwards. Every time I put it back together, the yoke and jack would separate when I flipped the lever. It drove me nuts.
These guys are saints, and will walk you through any problem. About 50 Senators later, I'm still learning new tricks. ;)
X 2...Saint Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Shark Hunter

You are too Humble Dominick! ;)
I was thinking more Like Saint Sal, Saint Tom, Alan, Rob, Lee, Albert, Bob, George and Saint Bry!
There is room for you I guess. ;)
Life is Good!

Dominick

Quote from: Shark Hunter on July 22, 2014, 06:56:06 PM
You are too Humble Dominick! ;)
I was thinking more Like Saint Sal, Saint Tom, Alan, Rob, Lee, Albert, Bob, George and Saint Bry!
There is room for you I guess. ;)
Yup!  Made a vow of humility.  St. Dominick vo biscum
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

ChileRelleno

Quote from: westcoasttuna on July 20, 2014, 03:26:33 PM
Quote from: ChileRelleno on July 20, 2014, 05:50:48 AM
Can you specify where/when are you 'feeling' this grinding?

When switching between freespool & in-gear, like it perhaps its something with the eccentric jack/yoke?
Did you match the proper bridge screws (smooth) with the clutch springs?

Or is it felt with the spool spinning or turning the handle?

It feels like the pinion is hitting something right when i pull the lever back and the eccentric jack is being pushed towards the pinion and gear.
The handle and spool spin good. I just checked the bridge screws and they were in the right places.
Quote from: westcoasttuna on July 22, 2014, 03:10:58 AM
Quote from: alantani on July 21, 2014, 03:16:11 AM
screws threaded just at the end are used for the yoke and springs.  did you had all threaded screws i that spot?
Yea, I put the two threaded screws where the tipped ones should have went.
My first guess was correct...  Been there, done that, have the t-shirt.

Glad you got it working right.  ;)
Ragnar Benson:
"Never, under any circumstances, ever become a refugee.
Die if you must, but die on your home turf with your face to the wind, not in some stinking hellhole 2,000 kilometers away, among people you neither know nor care about."