Jig casting rod

Started by jmbnv, July 21, 2014, 04:21:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jmbnv

I want to build a rod for casting wahoo jigs and bombs. My question is will the Phoenix PhD rods in 8 to 8 1/2 foot lengths be a good choice for this? Or would I be better served by using a Calstar graphite or or glass jig rod?
"I got a smile
for everyone I meet,
'Long as you don't try taking my baby
or droppin' a bomb on my street"

SoCalAngler

For most hoo fishing casting distance is not a huge issue. If the boat is on the hook it helps some but most of the time it is cast out on the drift with wind in your face let jig or bomb sink to depth with the boat sliding away from your cast and crank back. Repeat until bit but many times hoo's get wise to the jigs after a little while so then it's back to bait. 7'ers work well for this but some like longer rods. I'm not sure where you are located but remember while fishing wahoo it it not rare to get picked up by a 100 lb plus tuna here on the west coast long range trips. I'm not sure I'd like to play with a 100 lb tuna while on a 8-8 1/2' rod.

You could use the 8-8 1/2 foot stick as a combo for surface iron also for YT and schoolie sized tuna as well as the skins.

jmbnv

Thank you. I'm in Reno Nevada so I don't get a chance to get my hands on the equipment as there's no saltwater gear up here. I do 10 to 15 day trip each year and occasionally shorter trip. So I'm more interested in wahoo than yellowtail. And I've had that experience of working a large tuna on wahoo gear and I know exactly what you mean it's painful!
I guess my question is, do the Phoenix rods cast well. I have a 3Xh and 4Xh  which were great on the tuna. But I don't know if their lighter weight rods are good casting platforms. Thanks again for your answer
"I got a smile
for everyone I meet,
'Long as you don't try taking my baby
or droppin' a bomb on my street"

SoCalAngler

I'm A Calstar guy so no help with the Phenix rods here but I'm going to send you a PM so check your box.

the rockfish ninja

Glass rods are usually a bit more flexible that graphite rods and from my experience a more rigid blank will toss lures much easier and with better control, especially from a boat. I've done a little bit of Wahoo fishing (93lb caught in the Bahamas is my best fish) but I've never even heard of casting to them. Dorado yes, to get them out from under the flotsam seaweed or whatever, but I've only heard of trolling for Wahoo. If you've developed a casting method for them and do well, we'd love to see your fishing report when you come back. Good luck with it! They're are the best table fare.
Deadly Sebastes assassin.

AJ

Casting jigs for Wahoo is common on the West Coast long range boats.  There is a large variety of jigs including jigs developed for Yellowtail fishing.  Most use a high speed retrieve to attract the Wahoo's attention.  Winding a jig in at top speed when it suddenly stops and line appears to melt off the reel is an experience to be remembered.
Robb

the rockfish ninja

I can imagine, just watching the line on the spool, on that 93 pounder, almost disappear in front of my eyes was scary fun.
Tossing metal with a steel leader? Is that how U do it?
Deadly Sebastes assassin.

SoCalAngler

Some use about a 2 foot steel leader on top of the jig or bomb, same with live bait, but I strait tie mono to a Raider jig or bomb and use the steel leader for bait. They are wahoo and sometimes it's 5 bite off's in a row and other times it is 5 hoos landed in a row on the same jig or bomb, of course I retie if there is any nicks in the line. When fishing jig, bomb or bait never, and I mean never swing on a fish. Once bit wind as fast as you can until everything comes tight and run like a mad man until you have the fish/line strait in front of you. If your line is a bit to the right or left of you when everything comes tight most likely your going to loose the fish.

AJ

The classic Yellowtail "iron" also work.  No wire and you loose one or two but they are cheaper than traditional Wahoo jigs.  Look for ones with single hooks, it helps the crew as the treble hooks can be tough to remove!

400yfinn

I just seen this subject and i am debating the exact same thing. I am putting together 2 501 penns and want a jig casting rod for Gulf of mexico king macks and maybe yellowtail out west- 30# or maybe 40# line. I have been looking at the specs on Phenix blanks and Calstar and seeker. I really like the idea of how light the Phenix is-just dont know how good they cast. I know 90J or 6480 are what alot of west coast guys use and I may go that way. just wish someplace around me carried them so i could but my hands on some to see what i like. I going to buy the planks and put a deckhand wrap handle myself- another question - are phenix blanks too thin for reels to fit right w/ corkgrip handle?