Show How you use the spool pin to tie your line to it

Started by MuskyFishing, July 23, 2014, 04:55:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MuskyFishing

I have a dilemma on this subject ???
That pin in the center of the spool, it just doesn't make sense TO ME.
First, for braid... Would it not scrape & damage the braid line as it glides past the pin  while the pin is still visible?
Second, The pin has no groove to keep a line from slipping, IF you tie the line to it.
Third and most important is: PENN FATHOM is "braid ready", AND according to pictured reel on their site: The spool is drilled on the side instead of a pin. 
THAT is the most intelligent design I have seen yet. And makes sense to have the line go through a hole and effectively become a part of the reel, Rather than just "hold on to it".

SO ...     If you care to get in on this discussion, POST images to show how you use that annoying :-[ and confusing ??? pin on your reel.

STTLW50HA
A diver sees a man at 20 feet without SCUBA gear and watches him going down. 40...50..60...100...150...200  At 300 feet he catches up with the man, grabs his board and writes: "This is Amazing! How can you dive so far without breathing?" The man quickly takes the board and marker from him and writes: "I'M DROWNING YOU IDIOT!!!"

Shark Hunter

I just tie my line around the spool and use the pin to get tension on it the first few wraps. I don't tie anything to it. I mainly use heavy Mono.
Life is Good!

Tightlines667

I take a double wrap on either side of the pin so after the knot is snugged up to the spool it will stop on the pin.  I purposely do not make a half hitch around the spool so that I can snug the knot properly.  On a spool lacking the pin and/or with an integral nonslip material I will make a half hitch around the core with my double wrap so as to be able to tighten the knot and improve its anti slipping properties.  Many guys will put carnauba wax, tape or a short section of mono around the core when spooling with spectra to help minimize the possibility of slipping.  Spooling the spectra under tension (typically greater then 8-12lbs is also recommended.  There are some other threads on the forum addressing spooling spectra.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

maxpowers

You can also tie the braid on by having the line start by going over the top of the spool, around it and end up coming from under the spool.  This way the line is constantly tightening against the spool as it spins in the opposite direction.

crackerman

Use some pliers and pull the pin straight out. Wrap the braid around the spool 6-7 times and tie the know that the line manufacturer recommends. Then when its real tight, dab a drop of superglue on.
The pin will wear through braid over time as it packs ever tighter on the spool.

Shark Hunter

I wouldn't pull the pin out. Your inviting corrosion inside the spool then. I know on some older spools, that pin is holding some of them together.
Life is Good!

crackerman

Ok, on newer ones. And maybe a wrap of tape to keep it sealed up.

doradoben

I wrap some flex wrap over the arbor of the spool to cover the pin. Then wrap the line around a couple of times. I tie a San Diego Jam Knot and leave the tag end about an inch long. Lay the tag end on the arbor, then wrap over the tag end very tightly so the spectra is very solid from the start to finish.

Keta

Quote from: doradoben on July 31, 2014, 07:43:37 AM
I wrap some flex wrap over the arbor of the spool to cover the pin. Then wrap the line around a couple of times.

Me too.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain