Checking in from Philadelphia

Started by coastal_dan, July 23, 2014, 06:11:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

coastal_dan

Good afternoon all.  This place is surely a wealth of knowledge and I am looking forward to using some of it in the years ahead.  I am a majority kayak fisherman fishing Okuma and Avet products, but I have a deep appreciation for my hometown reel company, Penn.  My grandfather passed away this winter and was an avid fisherman with a large collection of various spinning and conventional reels...Squidders, DelMars, 9M's, and this great looking Jigmaster I plan on reviving into a mean kayaking reel.  I know, I could easily buy a new $100 conventional reel and it would have stronger drag, be cheaper and blah blah blah, but that isn't why I joined or why this forum is so large!  I'd like to keep this alive and think of my Grandfather every time I use it.

My plans so far (on my very limited knowledge; and please weigh in on what I have forgotten!) -

-Tiburon Frame and reel brace (thinking an odd color so as to not get it confused with others reels)
-Stainless Steel gear sleeve (sorry if I typed it wrong, my brain is on alantani.com overload)
-New handle and grip
-New Carbontex drag washers

This will be my first time dismantling a reel and I'm looking forward to creating a reel that will last for me as well as my daughter (shes 20 months old).

Thanks and tight lines!
Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

Shark Hunter

Welcome Dan!
That is a good looking Jigmaster. the Tib frame and ss sleeve are a good place to start. There is also a double dog stainless bridge and gears available from Black Pearl and a 5 stack drag kit from Bryan. They are in the for sale section under "Ultimate Upgrades by Bryan Young" and "Pro Challenger fishing products".
Life is Good!

alantani

welcome!  actually for this reel, i'd get a light coat of grease on all the surfaces, install a set of greased carbon fiber drags and replace the clamp with a graphite penn clamp.  for the rest, i'd hold off and just fishi with it and then decide if you need more upgrades.  you can spend alot of money quickly if you're not careful!  alan
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Alto Mare

Welcome aboard Dan, where in Philly?
Enjoy your stay, Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Marcq

Wow!! I like the first picture, steam-punk   8)

Welcome !!!

Marc..

MFB

A nice sentiment, I still have a few of grandfather's tools, he was a plumber. Alas no reels or rods though, they all fished with hand lines back in the day.

Rgds

Mark
No man can lose what he never had.
                                                   Isaac Walton

coastal_dan

Thanks for the warm welcome!  I'm torn in how far I should take it, I only saltwater fish and I use a Cedros and SX for majority of my fishing.  This would be my Striper and off shore bottom fishing rod/reel combo.  Also torn on whether to go braid or mono, I have Powerpro on all my other set ups, but am still deciding on this one.

Alto Mare - We are in Roxborough, a very short 5 min. drive down Henry Ave. to the Penn office and about 5 miles out Kelly Drive from Center City.

Marcq - Yeah, the pics are from my phone, must have had a filter on, haha.

MFB - I completely understand about the tools, my grandfather was also a tradesman, the shear amount of tools, fasteners and material is staggering.  I feel as though we learn more about him the more we discover in their home; a sad but true testament.  We were all very close, but time seems to be the enemy when learning from your elders.
Dan from Philadelphia...

Alto Mare

Quote from: coastal_dan on July 24, 2014, 12:54:05 PM
Alto Mare - We are in Roxborough, a very short 5 min. drive down Henry Ave. to the Penn office and about 5 miles out Kelly Drive from Center City.

If you're from Roxborough, you must know the Gambaro brothers or Vince Forte. I'm 15 minute drive from you.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Dominick

Quote from: Alto Mare on July 24, 2014, 08:40:22 PM
If you're from Roxborough, you must know the Gambaro brothers or Vince Forte. I'm 15 minute drive from you.
Sal the Gambaro brothers are alright.  "I didn't know until this day that it was Barzini all along."  ;) Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

johndtuttle

Once you get that Jigmaster tuned to your needs you will actually find it to be just about the best yak reel in the world. Nothing else is gonna take repeated dunks in sandy wash like a JM and be easier to rinse the internals of sand.

Resist the urge to upgrade the bushings to bearings (unless maybe ceramic) and that reel will outlive 10 of anything else made in the world for a Kayaking application.

Go with a narrow frame and braid, imo.

best

Alto Mare

Well said John ;), I'm with you on the Jigmaster.

coastal_dan

Alto Mare - No, but I'll keep my ears open.  I was in East Falls for 5 years during and after college, then bought a home in South Philly...we just recently sold that and bought a house in Roxborough.  We are loving being basically in the Wissahickon part of Fairmount Park.

John - Thanks, before I do anything I'd like to continue searching this site for ideas and appropriate modifications to do just as you say get it fine "tuned".  If it is narrowed that would be a spool and frame replacement correct?  My Avet SX has worked out great so far but I'd like a little bigger reel/rod for when the Fall striper trolling turns on and Umbrella rigs would not fair well on my Med. Heavy Tidemaster.

;D
Dan from Philadelphia...

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

coastal_dan

Pleasantly surprised at just how clean this thing is...the brass gear sleeve does have some wear so I'll be replacing that w/ an S.S. unit.  Downright awesome taking these apart to actually understand how they work...I think this is going to become quite a fun project, and I hate to say I may just go all out.  I was looking at Newell parts, but I'm thinking I'll go with the Tib frame because I like the idea of the 1x piece and its cheaper!  5 + 1 drag stack for sure, also doing research on grease and lubs. This site is downright addictive!

Dan from Philadelphia...

Alto Mare

You just opened up a can of worms ;D, try to control yourself with those reels and don't do as I do ;D...love your plaque.