Stucked Bearing

Started by Jayce, July 24, 2014, 05:31:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jayce

Hi Guys,

Was servicing my spinning reel (first time to open it up) after 1 year of use.
I cannot remove the drive shaft bearings on both sides.  I don't like to force it with the risk
of damaging the parts. 
Any tips on how to remove these critters.

johndtuttle

Are you referring the bearings that support the main gear and handle or the pinion/main shaft?

For the pinion/main shaft find a large washer that fits the pinion. Put it on there and replace the rotor nut to keep the washer on. Some gentle wiggles and straight pulls should do it. If it's truly stuck (ie corrosion) then a penetrating oil around it then heating the housing should loosen it up.

alantani

Pounding on a bearing can easily cause damage. If the bearing is already bad then pound away!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Jayce

Quote from: johndtuttle on July 24, 2014, 06:12:11 PM
Are you referring the bearings that support the main gear and handle or the pinion/main shaft?

For the pinion/main shaft find a large washer that fits the pinion. Put it on there and replace the rotor nut to keep the washer on. Some gentle wiggles and straight pulls should do it. If it's truly stuck (ie corrosion) then a penetrating oil around it then heating the housing should loosen it up.

The two bearings that supports the Main gear on both sides of the spinner  ;D

johndtuttle

Quote from: Jayce on July 25, 2014, 01:21:24 AM

Once you remove the side plate they come out of the receptacle from the inside. If they won't drop right out with a little shake then you can poke with a blunt tool from the outside where the handle comes in and they should drop out.

Jayce

Quote from: johndtuttle on July 25, 2014, 01:23:33 AM
Quote from: Jayce on July 25, 2014, 01:21:24 AM

Once you remove the side plate they come out of the receptacle from the inside. If they won't drop right out with a little shake then you can poke with a blunt tool from the outside where the handle comes in and they should drop out.

Hi John,

Both are stuck on the main gear tried soaking them but still stuck.
Tried pulling them out by hand but still no avail.

Jeto

have you tried soaking them first in lighter fluid before applying some penetrating oil?

Jayce

Quote from: Jeto on July 25, 2014, 05:58:49 AM
have you tried soaking them first in lighter fluid before applying some penetrating oil?

Soaked them in Lighter fluid then when that failed i sprayed some WD40 still wont budge.
There are no signs of rust/corrosion (freshwater reel) along the area of the bearings and bearing are still good.
Its just really stuck.  It seems it was forced fitted during assembly in the factory ?

johndtuttle

Quote from: Jayce on July 25, 2014, 06:42:54 AM
Quote from: Jeto on July 25, 2014, 05:58:49 AM

Soaked them in Lighter fluid then when that failed i sprayed some WD40 still wont budge.
There are no signs of rust/corrosion (freshwater reel) along the area of the bearings and bearing are still good.
Its just really stuck.  It seems it was forced fitted during assembly in the factory ?

Take a look at the schematic for the reel. If the main gear has the bearings attached on the drawing then they might be an "assembly" sold with them pressed on.

What reel is this?? Can you post a photo?

Jayce

Its an old Ultegra shimano reel.

Yes the bearings and drive shafts are separate on the schematics.

Got one out with help from a friend now the other bearing is still stuck.

thedw

spray down that sucker with WD-40 or TSI.... wait for an hour.

try to wiggle it out ...

erm no offense but seeing as its an ultegra perhaps the effort required may not be justified by the trouble and cost of the reel?

perhaps buying a new reel would save alot more time and effort

Alto Mare

Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

broadway

After a few of Sal's tutorials I learned that Paslode works... I now use it, also.
Good luck with the bearing,
Dom

Dominick

I read a lot of stuff on this site and it is the first time I heard of Paslode.  Did I miss it somewhere?  I'm killing myself with the stuff I use.  :-\ Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

TomT

Dominick, About a year ago Sal was talking about this stuff and had purchased it at Home Depot.  I went to my nearest Home Depot and searched in 3 or 4 different locations and had help from 3 HD employees.  No one had even heard of it.  I asked 1 more employee over by the tools and he took me right to it.  It was not cheap but works good.  So, try HD over by the compressors and power tools.  At my store it was stored so high they had to get a ladder to get it. ;D
TomT