Talica 12ii

Started by mudgecko63, July 24, 2014, 09:17:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mudgecko63

I recently stripped down my Talica 12, 2 speed reel after finding that it was tight to turn the handle. I recently returned from a fishing trip where it did see a fair bit of saltwater due too some pretty ordinary weather (47 knots).
I found I had 3 bearings that were u/s. The two large ones 9x20x6, 12x21x5 and the first bearing inside the spool 7x14x5. I was a little surprised to water had made its way inside the spool, so there is no shielding to protect this area. I have replaced the bearings and packed the larger two with grease to help prevent any more problems. Is there some way to help prevent water intrusion to the spool? I also greased the drag washer with  Cal's grease, but on reassembly and checking the drag it just didn't feel that smooth so I then cleaned all the grease from it and now feels smoother. Can I use grease on these drag washers and if so maybe I should apply it a bit more liberally? Thanks.   

johndtuttle

Quote from: mudgecko63 on July 24, 2014, 09:17:34 AM
I recently stripped down my Talica 12, 2 speed reel after finding that it was tight to turn the handle. I recently returned from a fishing trip where it did see a fair bit of saltwater due too some pretty ordinary weather (47 knots).
I found I had 3 bearings that were u/s. The two large ones 9x20x6, 12x21x5 and the first bearing inside the spool 7x14x5. I was a little surprised to water had made its way inside the spool, so there is no shielding to protect this area. I have replaced the bearings and packed the larger two with grease to help prevent any more problems. Is there some way to help prevent water intrusion to the spool? I also greased the drag washer with  Cal's grease, but on reassembly and checking the drag it just didn't feel that smooth so I then cleaned all the grease from it and now feels smoother. Can I use grease on these drag washers and if so maybe I should apply it a bit more liberally? Thanks.   

Hey there,

What you have found is that all conventional reels can get a significant amount of salt in them after even one trip. It's simply the nature of the beast that the edges of the spool are not remotely sealed and the simple act of retrieving line can squirt saltwater over the edge and inside.

With a Lever Drag reel (any) you want to be extremely sparing with grease (saturate the washers then wipe them as clean as you can with a rag) reason being is that minimal contact of the drag plate and grease is essential for retaining freespool and also grease build up increases the weight of the spool leading to poor free spool. Lastly, excess grease has nowhere to go once inside the drag and it's cover as it is not open on the top and bottom like a star drag so too much will cause trouble.

Shimano carbon washers are perfect with grease, you just have to leave as little as possible on them.

Also, your best bet with the spool bearings is to pull the shields and oil them, and then reapply frequently both for performance and for longevity.

Fundamentally what you have found is that "there is no free lunch" ;D when fishing saltwater. You either meticulously maintain your reels or risk destroying them on one trip. The guys that tell you they do almost nothing and "X reel" held up fine are just getting lucky. One day fishing saltwater can destroy any number of parts of any reel made if salt got into the wrong area and is left there.

best

mudgecko63

Ok thanks for the info, it seems that it is something I will have to do after a trip each time.

johndtuttle

Quote from: mudgecko63 on July 24, 2014, 10:58:25 PM
Ok thanks for the info, it seems that it is something I will have to do after a trip each time.

If you well prep your reel in advance you don't have to do it every time. If you are not going to fish a reel for awhile then it is worth cracking it and relubing key parts like the spool bearings that are deep in the reel and the handle bearings that see the worst of salt.

Shimano is well known for their reels being extremely "dry" from the factory and a pre-fishing lube is generally preferred.

maxpowers

I just serviced my talica 16II.  I was able to open the shield on the right side pinion bearings and the outer bearing of the spool.  The big bearing on the gears and the two internal spool bearings I could not take the shield off.  I could not get the left side spool bearing off the shaft either.  I just oiled them with tsi 301 and put it together.  Maybe someone who have completely service these talica could give us pointer on how to take the shields of these bearings and/or to take the left side bearing out.

Thanks,