Help building a YTS,specifically the top cross bar

Started by Tom McKinney, July 25, 2014, 05:48:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom McKinney

I'm building a 113h 4/0 Yellow Tail Special. I have the newell base and cross bars and a spool.  I'd like to keep the top cross bar that attaches through the lugs.  How do I do that?  Is the original threaded all the way through so just cut it to length or  so I order one for another reel?

VW

The posts are bored/threaded just long enough for the screws.  If you shorten one you would have to drill and tap new threads.  Posts for the 112H and Long Beach 65 or 66 will fit (2 1/8").  Posts for LB reels have smaller OD, but that should not be a problem in this situation.

alantani

i have some penn cross bars, tapped to 5-40.  if you can give me the length, i might be able to find one that fits. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Tom McKinney

Thanks Alan.  I measured the newell bars and they are 2 and 1/8th inches so the ones noted in the above posts should work

However, it looks like the center screw on the base is supposed to be shorter than standard and so I overdid it on one side and seem to have stripped out the base. Any thoughts on repair?

Thanks

Ron Jones

Repair is a royal PITA, but I've fished them with2 screws quite a bit with no ill effect. To repair, you can chase the thread with the correct tap (assuming you can find one) and if that doesn't work then a heli coil is the best soultion.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

George4741

As Ron says, fishing with a center screw missing in the reelfoot is surely not a problem.  Another solution is to put a very thin strip of copper in the screw hole so the screw has something to bite into.

BTW the top crossbar you need is the same that fits the Longbeach 66 reel.
viurem lliures o morirem

alantani

tom, i have a cross bar for you.  it measures 2.125 inches. send me a pm with your address and i will ship it out. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!