Tony Pena knot

Started by jmbnv, July 25, 2014, 03:25:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jmbnv

Does anyone have a graphic were pictorial or a video of tying the Tony Pena knot? Used to try single-strand spectra to fluorocarbon or mono?
"I got a smile
for everyone I meet,
'Long as you don't try taking my baby
or droppin' a bomb on my street"

Aiala

I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

Tunacious

I know you're asking about the Tony Pena knot but here's a link to a similar knot with a minor change. Instead of one or two overhand knots to begin with, the Bob Sands uses a 4 turn uni. IMHO, you get more protection...ymmv

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vx0kETh1mS8&list=PL8AD1BFA5C99D3843&index=2

alantani

maybe we should have an alan tani knot with three turns!!!!  ;D
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

SoCalAngler

I used the Tony Pena knot but was having the spectra slipping over the overhand knot in the mono/fluoro when sinching down. With the Bob Sands I never had this problem. I'm trying the RP knot now but have only caught two BFT to 35lbs so far on it, so its too early to report but I didn't loose the fish.

Tunacious

Exactly. The 4 turn uni offers much more protection and no spectra slipping over the mono/flouro. The RP/Improved Albright/John Collins knot takes less time and is more difficult to screw up...seems to be very strong also. If I ever decide to use spectra it will be my go to knot.

Quote from: SoCalAngler on July 26, 2014, 01:37:35 AM
I used the Tony Pena knot but was having the spectra slipping over the overhand knot in the mono/fluoro when sinching down. With the Bob Sands I never had this problem. I'm trying the RP knot now but have only caught two BFT to 35lbs so far on it, so its too early to report but I didn't loose the fish.

russ1962

I like the Collins knot too. :)

Rare

Go all out and the the PR knot  ;D

MarkT

I usually go with a short leader on top of spectra. I use both the Tony Pena/Bob Sands and the Improved Albright/Alberto/John Collins/RP. The latter is easier to get right. I put a drop of superglue on both just to be sure.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

alantani

been using the tony pena knot for the last year.  been really happy with it!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!