Abu 9000c

Started by Marcq, July 25, 2014, 11:49:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marcq

Hey guys! Weird, I just noticed this, my Abu 9000c automatic 2 speed, was doing a clean up when it seemed like the  the frame was narrower on the top  ??? Wasn't sure if my eyes were playing  tricks on me. So took the caliper out and measured inside the frame 47.19mm at the top and  47.73 at the seat  ???. I say weird because I never noticed it and now looks so obvious, the posts looks too short

The reel is in very good condition, not sure if you can see it in the pic

Don't think it's normal  ???

Marc..

Marcq

Well, I just ordered two new post, hope it does it

Marc..

mhc

Mark, I didn't see this until you posted you had ordered posts. I measured a 2 speed 9500CL (converted to a 9000C) foot No. 94-03-04, at 47.0mm top and bottom, and I have an 8600 striper, foot No.750400 that is 47.95 at the reel seat, 47.60 at the posts and 47.10 at the top. I hadn't noticed until now  ??? The two reel feet look the same and aside from the 0.95mm difference look like they could be interchanged.

Do you know the history of the reel - Is it possible the foot is from another model 9000? - I don't know if the width varied slightly with some 9000 models (I thought the 8600 were the same width as the 9000?)
The foot looks to be in good condition in the photo - are the posts you have narrower than the foot?
I hope your new posts fix the problem :-\
It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

Marcq

Got the reel about five years ago on ebay, according to the previews owner it was never used, the reel was a demo, it's still in very good shape

After more measuring, the post are not the same, 47.48 and 47.85, one of the post as grooves in it at both ends

Was surprised to able to find new post for it at $5 a piece at ereplacementparts.com

Does your posts have grooves on them too?

Thanks, Marc..

mhc

Quote from: Marcq on July 28, 2014, 02:54:38 PM

Yes, the back one does about 3 -4 mm in from each end - the front one on mine has the longitudinal groove underneath for the level-wind carrier in it's CL version, and no groves at each end. Both 47.00 mm.

The 9000C schematic 74-11-00 (Mikes Reel Repair site) shows both spacer bars as the same part No. 8828.  which indicates they should be the same for that reel. There are schematics for earlier or later reels, have a look at the one that is closest to your reel and see if they should be the same. On the other hand, if it is a functional reel and not a collectors piece, the length is all that matters to hold the side plates parallel and bearings in line.

Michael .     
It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

Marcq

Quote from: mhc on July 29, 2014, 08:36:14 AM
Quote from: Marcq on July 28, 2014, 02:54:38 PM

Yes, the back one does about 3 -4 mm in from each end - the front one on mine has the longitudinal groove underneath for the level-wind carrier in it's CL version, and no groves at each end. Both 47.00 mm.

The 9000C schematic 74-11-00 (Mikes Reel Repair site) shows both spacer bars as the same part No. 8828.  which indicates they should be the same for that reel. There are schematics for earlier or later reels, have a look at the one that is closest to your reel and see if they should be the same. On the other hand, if it is a functional reel and not a collectors piece, the length is all that matters to hold the side plates parallel and bearings in line.

Michael .     
Thanks Michael, yeah the 74-11-00 schematic is is the closest to my reel, (87-0) the reel had bearing and frame pillar, would have liked replacing the post by those.

At least the posts I ordered will be the same length, will see

Thanks again!!
Marc..

basto

On my 9000c the front post is plain and the rear one is grooved on each end. Foot number is 800400.
DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n

Marcq

Quote from: basto on July 30, 2014, 06:33:52 AM
On my 9000c the front post is plain and the rear one is grooved on each end. Foot number is 800400.

Hmm! On many pictures I saw, the post with grooves seemed to be always in the back of the reel. In your case are they the same length ?

Marc..

basto

I`ll measure them and let you know.

Marcq

Actually, if you could measure top and bottom, I received my new post and they are basically the same length then the original, maybe the reel was design like this

Marc..

basto

Mine are exactly 48mm each.

Marcq

Quote from: basto on July 31, 2014, 11:44:16 PM
Mine are exactly 48mm each.

Thanks for taking the time

Marc..