Fin-Nor Santiago

Started by BrianBM, July 27, 2014, 12:49:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BrianBM

I see Chark is going to drop that line of reels, and perhaps there will be a useful discount on the leftovers soon.  I'd like a 50W something, and am lying in ambush for the right deal to happen.  All that said ... has anyone spent enough time with these reels to have an opinion as to their strengths and weaknesses?

Being a tackle board junkie, I believe that there's a consensus that the Makairas offer the best current out-of-box experience. No one has anything but praise for a reel that's gone through Cal Sheet's hands. Speaking of 50W reels in general, they're all more than Good Enough, though some come better greased and prepared for use then others.  But of the FN Santiagos I have heard not a peep. 

alantani

i had a chance to meet the fin-nor guy at the fred hall show this last time and he was really nice.  i'm not sure what's up with the company, but the reels work fine.  they just need a good going through.  :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Tightlines667

Good reels overall.  They are lightweight, and have a good drag system that puts out pretty big high effective drags.  I like the clicker, the frame, and the drag system.  I'm not a huge fan of their 2-speed mech, or the cam assembly..the former can be a bit finicky if not lubed properly, and the latter has a pretty steep/aggressive ramp up.  The reel is built to pretty tight tollerances overall.  I've had some problems with maintaining good freespool after greasing the drags, and there is little room to shim or make adjustments after the reel has been exposed to prolonged heavy use.  The reel has a lot of parts and may be a bit overengineered.  The gear set is high quality.  Good, smooth high performance reel outta the box, but like all reels it has it's weak points too.  Personally I really like the smaller 2-speed Marquesas the best of the Fin Nor line. 
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

BrianBM

Thank you.  Even the mighty Google doesn't disclose enough user comment, or intelligent reviews, to be worth a damn.

BrianBM

I note that Cal's webite makes no reference to blueprinting or tweaking the Santiago reels.  No doubt he could, but it's probably easier just to wait for an International II 50W, or something else in wide circulation, to come within reach of my spider hole.  Tightlines666, what do you like better about the Marquesas?

Tightlines667

I think they are excellent little 2 speeds.  Lightweight, high/smooth drag, they have good freespool, and a good gear set.  Again drag curve is a bit on the steep side, and 2 speed mech can get sticky over time w/improper lube, or salt/particle intrusion.  These reels have the 'pull' drag design, and the C clips can function as a spool sleeve would if properly shimmed.  I recommend doing this, converting drag to 'wet' and opening up the spool bearings when servicing.  I have gotten a lot of positive feedback from customers who have used these reels for trolling, chunking, and live bait fishing.  They can often be had for reasonable prices too.  I'm a fan overall.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

BrianBM

Thank you.

The sweet wind of retirement is tweaking my nose, and reel care and hotrodding, along with hearing a lot more live music and doing a lot more fishing, is much on my mind for day-after entertainment.  I browse this place with happy abandon.  Gee, you can do that?  Customize this?  Tweak that?  Neat.   ;D

alantani

slippery slope......   ;D
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!