Spider weights

Started by Shark Hunter, July 27, 2014, 01:55:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dominick

A little follow-up history for Lorena Bobbitt...she moved to Russia and changed her name to Ivana Cutchurcokov.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

Newell Nut

Since you already have the copper pipe just plug one end and fill with lead bird shot and heat with a propane torch. No mess.

Shark Hunter

Now that's a good idea Dwight! ;)
I thought of using bb's. The problem is the wires are sticking out of both ends before you put the cement in. Just some duct tape around the swivel end keeps the concrete from coming out. Maybe a little concrete on one end, then the shot and the torch, I think that's a good plan. ;D
Life is Good!

smnaguwa

Any thoughts about mixing lead balls into the hydraulic cement?

Dominick

Quote from: smnaguwa on July 29, 2014, 08:29:20 PM
Any thoughts about mixing lead balls into the hydraulic cement?
I love it.  Another way to skin the cat.  Dominick

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Shark Hunter

I thought about mixing it with bb's. The 8 gauge wire takes up too much room in the pipe for bigger balls. I think I am going to go with Dwight's suggested route. The lead shot and torch.
Life is Good!

Aiala

You could also try a marginally larger diameter copper pipe, which would increase total volume, and consequently, weight.   :)

~A~
I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

Dominick

Quote from: Shark Hunter on July 29, 2014, 10:23:08 PM
I thought about mixing it with bb's. The 8 gauge wire takes up too much room in the pipe for bigger balls. I think I am going to go with Dwight's suggested route. The lead shot and torch.

Wow! Mr. Macho... :D Dominick

Cone

Daron, You saw what I do. I cut pvc put in the wires and stick them in dry sand. Then pour in the lead. They may not be pretty but if you lose one you are not out much.   Bob
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

Shark Hunter

I still have those Bob, and plan on using them. just experimenting.
Life is Good!

js1172

you can buy weights with 1/2-3/4" holes in them, get the weights, put your wire in desired length of pipe, slide weights on outside of pipe, smash the ends of the pipe sticking out of the string of weights, with the ends mashed shut, the weights can't get off, the wire cant get out.
or use PVC slipcaps, or 6 oz Styrofoam cups with your cement.
js
Our houses are protected by the good lord and a gun, ya might meet them both if ya show up here not welcome son
way out here/Josh Thompson

Shark Hunter

I finally got around to messing with these spider weights a bit more. I don't think the hydraulic cement is the way to go. It gets brittle and starts to break down after a while. The one on the Left is John's. Big Shark Tackle sells them, and they are supposed to weigh a pound. It actually only weighs 8 ounces. I filled one of mine with lead  and it now weighs 6 ounces, the one on the right still has the cement and only weighs 4 ounces. I think that will do. I used split shot and pellets. The wires are much sturdier now.
Life is Good!

floating doc

I used to make mine by drilling out an eight ounce egg sinker, then looping coathanger wire, with four legs. Easily cast and held bottom well.
Central Florida

ChileRelleno

Quote from: Shark Hunter on September 28, 2014, 04:32:40 PM
I finally got around to messing with these spider weights a bit more.
I don't think the hydraulic cement is the way to go. It gets brittle and starts to break down after a while.

The one on the Left is John's.
Big Shark Tackle sells them, and they are supposed to weigh a pound. It actually only weighs 8 ounces.

I filled one of mine with lead  and it now weighs 6 ounces, the one on the right still has the cement and only weighs 4 ounces.
I think that will do. I used split shot and pellets. The wires are much sturdier now.

Daron, is that the smaller of the two sizes I had?
The smaller one they sell, they list as 7oz.
http://bigsharktackle.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=38&products_id=99
I couldn't remember exactly what the weights on them were.
IIRC, I said, 8oz-10oz for those & I thought the big ones were close to 1#.
They list the shipping weight as "Shipping Weight: 0.1lbs" which I take as a typo.
http://bigsharktackle.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=38&products_id=100

Anyways, those look really good, you're definitely on the right track.  ;)

Quote from: floating doc on September 28, 2014, 08:28:23 PM
I used to make mine by drilling out an eight ounce egg sinker, then looping coathanger wire, with four legs. Easily cast and held bottom well.
Cheap & easy Sputniks...  I like it.

Ragnar Benson:
"Never, under any circumstances, ever become a refugee.
Die if you must, but die on your home turf with your face to the wind, not in some stinking hellhole 2,000 kilometers away, among people you neither know nor care about."