Spider weights

Started by Shark Hunter, July 27, 2014, 01:55:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bryan Young

Check out the weights for Ulua Slide Bait Rigs.  We use normal bank sinkers with heavy gauge wire.  Here is a photo with the wires straight. 

What weights are you looking for.  In Hawaii, we have them from 2 oz to probably 16 oz.  I would contact Brian's Fishing Supply [808-596-8344] or Ewa Beach Buy and Sell [808-689-6368].  You could always do a phone order and charge it.  They can sent it flat rate to save on shipping cost.

I would stay away from copper.  Copper will absolutely kill a lively reef and marine life.  Not sure how, but it does.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

floating doc

Oh, good point on the effect of copper on the environment.
Central Florida

jonnou

Nice looking weights brian
I make my own weights You have to be carefull with the lead
very toxic to your brain
copper is worth a fortune these days  I would take it to the scrappy and swap for lead or Tungsten
we make a large version of Darons weight using Steel pipe and deformed concrete reinforcing bar
Love the DIY

Bryan Young

Just saw this on Facebook if you can no make your own.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

CapeFish

we use these long boom "breakaway" sinkers for sliding big baits. They work a charm and I make my own ones

Jeri

Hi All,

We have been going through all the variables every year for the past couple of years, as cheap lead gets shorter in supply. Variations with concrete would seem to have the most likelihood of success, but they have to be so large by volume in comparison, that they become unrealistic.

We always end up biting the bullet, and paying more for the genuine 'lead' article.

Just about any decent mould can be used, they are readily available from folks like 'Mold-It' in a huge variety of sizes, and if you need added wires – then just drill the aluminium mould to suit.

We have found that a long wire/attachment in the front of the sinker, hold the sinker lower to the sea bed, and allow the anchorage wires better grip.

A note about copper, it is a totally toxic material to all marine and freshwater environments – it used to be the main component for anti-fouling boats, but was banned because of the toxicity. Pretty much every harbour in the world had totally marine deserts on the sea bed through precipitation from the boat hulls. It's the copper content in brass that makes them such good fixings for marine use, they never suffer marine corrosion.

On a closing note, surprised at the prices offered for 8oz sinkers on the page shown, we are selling them in the shop at under a half of that price, but then shipping from Namibia would be a pain!!!

Cheers from sunny Africa

Jeri

bluefish69

Jeri

Sinkers here in N.Y. can be bought for .12 an oz. for bank sinkers from 2-24oz. I buy in 24# bags & I just received 100# at my door. I have a very unhappy Postman now. I have his cell # if needed.

Mike
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

Shark Hunter

Messing around with these spider weights some more. John, That last one you gave me in Navarre weighed in at 6 oz. I just don't like the whole concrete idea seeing the deterioration on yours, the wires are going to come loose eventually. I made two more. The 4 inch one I was using was about 5 oz. I made a 6" and a 10" out of 1/2" pipe and they weighed in at 8 oz and 15 oz filling them with lead. I also put some longer wires on them and they should hold in the toughest current. I need to pick up some more 8 gauge wire and some 3/4" copper pipe. A 6" piece should be heavy enough for what we do, and a lot more solid.
I made these out of the 4" ones that had the concrete in them.
Life is Good!

CapeFish

I wish I could post you weights, I have stacks from 6-9 Oz lying in the garage with spring steel break away legs so they are easy to reel in once you have yanked them out the sand and they don't get caught in weed and rocks once you pull them out

thorhammer

Hey Daron, we use similar stuff for trolley rigging king mackerel off piers. For wires, I scavenge an old bicycle wheel and cut out the spokes. They're stiff but will bend out if hung. I know guys that use nails but they ain't bending out. I pour my lead but if you'd rather not you can pack egg sinkers or split shot in your tube then seal them in with the concrete or JB. That will give you an extra couple ounces without increasing size, i.e. sail area of the sinker.

J

Shark Hunter

My neighbor gave me a coffee can full of 3/8 oz egg sinkers. I just melt them into the pipe. I seal the bottom with aluminum foil. It is solid. These weights are tough and will be re used again and again. the wires are solid all the way through. I'm going to make a few more for me and John and that will be all we need. The copper wires will last a long time. This is the same type of wire used for grounding your home. You just straighten them out when your done and put them in the tackle bag.
Life is Good!

thorhammer

i like the ground wire idea for portability. the spokes dont bend that easiliy. are you slinging these on the ugly stick?

Shark Hunter

No, These are for the long drops in the kayak. The Ugly could do it. I was using an 8 oz Pyramid a few weeks ago to get it to hold.
Life is Good!

Bryan Young

By the way, copper left in our oceans' reefs can kill the reef.  It is worse than lead left in our reefs due.  Copper prevents growth of organisms in our oceans.  That is why bottom paint has copper in it.

Shark Hunter

I have yet to lose one of these Bry. Where I fish, I won't be around any reefs. If I am, I won't use them. The Gulf front from Pensacola to Destin is pretty much clear of reefs on the ocean side. Its just sand and shells. No Rocks or reefs unless you go way out. Farther out than I will be paddling to drop my bait. They have made several man made ones on the sound side. They are hard to miss with the big pillars around them. this is an old picture. I quit smoking 18 months ago! ;D
Life is Good!