Avet MXL Raptor question

Started by Islandgypsy, July 28, 2014, 01:36:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Islandgypsy

Heading to SD for 7-trip soon. Purchased above reel to mate with Calstar 700 H. Line capacity acceptable w/ almost 400 yds. 60# hollow spectra and 25 ft. flouro topshot. Want to fish this as a 40 pound setup. Am I asking too much of this  little reel? Anyone have experience at this line rating? Gear and pinion issues? I can upgrade to a larger reel if there are issues. Any advice would be more than welcome..thanks..Greg.

SoCalAngler

The reel and rod should be a great 40lb setup. Though I go a little old school for one of my 40lb setups where I use a standard JX and a Calstar 6470 as my main 40lb setup on trips like that or when I fish the Sea of Cortez.

For me I'd maybe even get or trade the 700H for a XH and use the reel as a 50lb setup as I'm fully loaded in the 40lb line class. The MXL Raptor will handle both fine though I do like the MXJ better as a 40lb reel. Not to worry about that reel or rod for 40lb and have a great trip.

Islandgypsy

Thanks SoCal angler..you have set my mind at ease. Was looking for real-life experience. Ordered this reel by mail based on Avet specs.- when I actually had in hand was skeptical . Have an old 12T Cal blueprinted and two-speeded years ago and was ready to swap on this rod. Was looking for lighter and hoped this would be the answer. Much appreciated...I value your opinion!