Abu-Garcia Cardinal 3

Started by FishermanTom81, July 29, 2014, 02:08:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FishermanTom81

A friend of mine has a Cardinal 3 with an inconsistent drag (It is 'Sticky')  I assume he needs new drag washers.  Would replacing the stock drag washers with carbon fiber then lubing with Shimano Drag Grease solve the problem?  Is taking apart a reel like this too much for someone (Me) with a mid level knowledge of reel repair?

johndtuttle

Quote from: FishermanTom81 on July 29, 2014, 02:08:25 AM
A friend of mine has a Cardinal 3 with an inconsistent drag (It is 'Sticky')  I assume he needs new drag washers.  Would replacing the stock drag washers with carbon fiber then lubing with Shimano Drag Grease solve the problem?  Is taking apart a reel like this too much for someone (Me) with a mid level knowledge of reel repair?

No, servicing a drag on a Spinner is as easy as it gets. Just be careful when it comes to removing any little bits and carefully set them out in order. Things that go sproing in the night and are tiny especially so.

The older reels may not have a listed carbon drag set but take the dimensions and Dawn at smoothdrag will find something for you. Get some drag grease too.

foakes

After an old school spinning reel is serviced, including replacing the old dry-type drag/drags with lightly greased carbon fiber -- you will wonder why the manufacturers never thought of this (some of them are starting to come around to this process now). 

They become so smooth and responsive -- with absolutely no stickiness or catching when engaged.  A real pleasure to fish. 

This will work for any of the old school reels such as the rear body drag on a Cardinal 3, or the front-drag Mitchell, DAM Quick, Penn, Shakespeare, Daiwa, etc..

Like John sez, you must use drag grease, not any other type -- and use it sparingly -- unlike gooping it on a conventional salt drag stack.

Also pay attention to any of the metal discs -- replace with Stainless Steel, if possible -- or at least clean up the brass discs so they are smooth and score free.

We have come a long way from the old days of leather and felt drags.

In my opinion, a old-school quality reel set up with carbon fiber drags and drag grease will perform as well as the new reels -- and at least for me be preferable over the new graphite or plastic bodied fancy reels.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

akfish

Isn't the Cardinal 3 a rear drag spinner? I think so. They aren't especially easy to wok on but greased carbon fiber drag washers will help a lot if you can find ones that fit.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

johndtuttle

Quote from: akfish on July 29, 2014, 09:10:37 PM
Isn't the Cardinal 3 a rear drag spinner? I think so. They aren't especially easy to work on but greased carbon fiber drag washers will help a lot if you can find ones that fit.

oh, lol...yea um, go for it!  ;D

foakes

Yeah, Bill --

You are right -- the Cardinal 3 spinner is a rear drag -- but not a standard rear drag like the Shimanos, etc.  I think the Shimanos, etc. are a good rear drag reel -- but they have entirely too many drag parts to get dirty or fail.

As you know, it has the under body rear knob system -- which is one of the best ever designed, particularly since it puts drag resistance on the spool shaft, instead of the spool itself.  The materials in these reels are of a superior quality, and the engineering is well thought out and dead-simple.

That is why they sell for so much on the auction sites.

Great ultralight reel.

Only weak link in these reels, is the plastic spools prone to cracking -- even if spooled carefully -- IMHO.

I think Dawn would have the drags -- or you could cut your own.

Best,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Ry@n

Did the original poster ever get the washers?  These washers have a rounded rectangle center hole.  I am considering making my own for my Cardinal 3's and 4's. Exactly knife I guess???  I may have many cut via. CNC.

handyandy

I don't know if they ever got any carbon disc or not would be nice to know which ones worked. I have been wanting to pick up a cardinal 3, already have a cardinal 4 I like. Carbon drag would help it a lot.

thorhammer

Contact Harry K on the site.  He is the Cardinal guy.