How do you keep track of what you do......

Started by Marcq, July 29, 2014, 11:05:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marcq

On your reels ? Like upgrades, line on, last serviced, special notes and so on ?

Marc..

floating doc

I've seen a photo of a reel that had the service date written in the grease on the bridge plate.
Central Florida

Marcq

Quote from: floating doc on July 29, 2014, 11:47:48 PM
I've seen a photo of a reel that had the service date written in the grease on the bridge plate.
That's one way to do it  :D

Marc..

broadway

If I'm not mistaken that was one of Dominick's contributions that I now use and it works like a charm.
Thanks Big D, ;)
Dom

Shark Hunter

This is how I do it. At some point, When I think I'm done upgrading. I will make a spreadsheet. That time has not come.
Life is Good!

Jeto

i wanted to use a spreadsheet to keep track on when to service the reel.
I still haven't gone around to making one.  ;D

Newell Nut

The spread sheet works great for me. I know where each reel is stored, what has been done to it, how much I have invested in all the upgrades of each reel, which rod they are on if I am using them and also a total cost of inventory column.

UKChris

I use a simple A5 hardback notebook - start a new page for each reel with the following info:
Name and serial number, price paid and where bought, and date.
Quick note on condition (if second-hand).
Basic line capacity.

Then start a new line with the date and follow with a note of what was done.

e.g. for a Tiagra 80W for last week:

- full strip and re-grease/repack bearings - Lucas blue - strip old line and dump - re-fill 700yd 200lb Stren Spectra - topshot 200yd 130lb Fox yellow mono

e.g. Abu 6500 Mag Elite last used last summer:

- clean - Red Rocket Fuel - new line - 0.35mm Tritanium -

or whatever...

Any quirks also noted after a trip so I know whether the reel needs attention or not before I next use it.
So far it has worked, now I have more reels than memory cells  :-\

Tunacious

I'm old school and use 3x5 white cards. On top of the card I write the reel make and model number. I also use boxes to store them in. If I use multiple reels of the same model number, I place a #1, #2, #3 etc on the bottom of the reel seat...it's only tape from those Brother machines. This way I can keep the correct reel with the correct maintenance card and box.

I just write the date and what service/mod I performed. It's pretty basic but it works. I document the service/mods performed etc. on the front and back of the 3x5 cards. 8)

Dominick

Quote from: broadway on July 30, 2014, 02:05:37 AM
If I'm not mistaken that was one of Dominick's contributions that I now use and it works like a charm.
Thanks Big D, ;)
Dom
Hey Dom you are correct.  That was my post.  The only problem was that I put down the wrong year.  Sal caught the mistake and he made me pay.   ;D :D Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

harryk3616

what i do after i service a reel is to tie a small piece of white string onto a frame post, this way i know the reel was serviced and ready to go, no paper work etc, etc.

Marcq

Quote from: Newell Nut on July 30, 2014, 09:53:45 AM
The spread sheet works great for me. I know where each reel is stored, what has been done to it, how much I have invested in all the upgrades of each reel, which rod they are on if I am using them and also a total cost of inventory column.

Yeah, I started doing this when not long ago I had to take one of my Abu's apart because I couldn't remember if the drag were updated or not, then realize I didn't remember much about my other reels either  ::)

Marc..

David Hall

Uh...keep track of what I do?
Hmmmmmmmm?
Wasn't a problem until I went back to see which one of the four saltiest I lost a spring when I service?
And then there's the fifteen penns, 4 TLD's, 4 penn formulas, the Avet the accurate the shimano, the curado,
Damn it Jim I'm an inspector not a doctor!
Okay I see the value and I have done nothing,  I hate spreadsheets, I do paperwork all day at work I don't want to do anymore when I,m home!
I'm gonna pretend I never read this thread and just go with the following system.
2015 all my reels were serviced.
2016. Cross that bridge when I get to it!
Choeee chu

Keta

I have trouble with making sure I have pants on when I  go to town.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!