How do you keep track of what you do......

Started by Marcq, July 29, 2014, 11:05:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

mike1010

Quote from: Keta on February 05, 2015, 05:08:45 AM
Old Timers dieses sucks.

Maybe time to recirculate this one:

Do you know what Waldheimer's disease is?  That's when you forget you used to be a Nazi.  (Youngsters, Google "Kurt Waldheim.")

MarkT

I just count on my excellent memory.  Uh, what was the question again?
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

foakes

This dead simple method works pretty well for me --

Just get a bunch of those Chinese carabiners from the dollar store -- 5 or 10 generally for a buck -- attach a business card with a punched hole -- note the last items -- put it in a polartec breathable bag -- done.

Safe, sound, protected, and ready.

A spread sheet would work -- but not for me -- too many reels to find a corresponding number.

Best,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Unutt

For those that are modified, and used regularly, I use a tag like the picture.  Judging by the date, this one is due for service.

Gear ratio, line, date last torn down.

So many reels, so little time.

fIsHsTiiCkS

Bryan Young

My method is easy.  Reels in a box...unserviced.  Reels on a rod serviced.  Loose reels...needs service.

All reels receive the same treatment so there's no disparity.

Hmm, I have a lot of loose reels around my bench that are mine...which one needs servicing?  Okay, my method may not work 100% of the time.  But when in doubt, don't fish it.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

alantani

Quote from: Marcq on July 29, 2014, 11:05:29 PM
On your reels ? Like upgrades, line on, last serviced, special notes and so on ?

Marc..

i just look for blue grease.....   ;D
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

MidTNKayakAngler

I bought a hardback spiral bound notebook, and I keep a log of every reel I service.

Start Date, Finish Date
Owner's Name
Brand, Model, and any identifying numbers, and number I personally give the reel. "I label each reel I service".
Notes: What was done, any noticeable wear, or rust what oils used and where, and what greases were used and where. Condition of parts.
What parts or bearings were replaced

Jeremy

Gfish

I use a label maker and produce something like "Unutt" has on his reel seat, 'cept I put it ona side plate ora gear box, w/ scotch tape over it pressed down real hard. Obviously I not a cosmeticly oriented person: "function over form" for me. Drives my wife nuts when it comes to household stuff. It used to be only line change n' date, now I'm includin' service n' upgrades. Thank you all for your informative posts!
Gfish
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

bigggfish

steelfish

on normal day hours I work in front of a computer, so a Spreadsheet have worked for me so far.

mine its not a formal reel shop business so, its still easy to keep track of the reels serviced.
one page for my personales reels with the upgrades and service date, specs, etc
and one page for each of my friends reels, other for friends of my friends and another for walk-ins jobs

The Baja Guy