Guide spacing

Started by jmbnv, August 01, 2014, 06:11:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jmbnv

Do you have guide spacing specs for a calstar 6480 8' jig rod. It will be matched w/ penn 40n torque?
"I got a smile
for everyone I meet,
'Long as you don't try taking my baby
or droppin' a bomb on my street"

Jon Vadney

Quote from: jmbnv on August 01, 2014, 06:11:36 PM
Do you have guide spacing specs for a calstar 6480 8' jig rod. It will be matched w/ penn 40n torque?

Guide spacing charts/formulas are pretty much useless since every blank bends a little bit differently even if they are the same model # from the same manufacturer.  I just built one of those rods recently and I used 9 guides, first few guides near the tip 4" apart, after that, increase the distance between the guides all the way back, stripping guide at about 23" from the reel seat.  Now static test the rod.  Tape the guides on and load the rod up and see how it looks.  Move the guides around accordingly so that you get a smooth and even distribution of the load.  My normal guide train for that rod would be: 20, 16, 12, 12, 10, 10, 10, 10, 10, tip.  Or: 20, 16, 12, 12, 10, 10, 8, 8, 8, tip.

harryk3616

i did something very similar to jon,   you have to roll the rod blank back and forth pushing down with your palm, you will fell the blank stiffen and some times jump as your rolling it, this way you find the hard spot.  mark the blank with a pencil, that is where you want the reel to sit on the hard spot so when your fighting a fish the rod don't twist from side to side.  after i installed the reel seat and it has set up, i would put a tube in a vise and slide the butt into the tube, with the reel installed, i would slide the guides on the line then the tip. i would put a very heavy weight on the floor and crank the reel with the drag locked up and put a nice bend on the rod, then slide the guides to position so the line would be bridged nicely. hope you can understand this message and i hope the rod works out great for you.      harryk

jmbnv

Thanks a lot guys I will use your advyice when I start building this thing., Joe
"I got a smile
for everyone I meet,
'Long as you don't try taking my baby
or droppin' a bomb on my street"

SoCalAngler

On my 6480 which is deckhand style (no reel seat, just heat shrink X tube over cork tape) my guides are laid out like this. Measurement started from the back of the tip top at the base of its ring. Tip top, first guides center/center of the guides ring 3 7/8", second guides center 7 7/8", third 12 1/2", fourth 17 3/8", fifth 22 7/8", sixth 28 7/8", seventh 35 3/8", eigth 42 7/8" and ninth 51 3/8". All measurments are made to the center of the guides. Give this a shot and see how it works for you.

mikeg24thst

Go to acid rod downloads they have a free download on guide spacing Ive built all my rods using their page and it's pretty damn good just my 2 cents

Newell Nut

I like that download too. Works great.