Blue Fin Tuna Mortatorium

Started by mrbrklyn, August 03, 2014, 12:57:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bluefish69

Doc

Correct your post title to read Bluefin Tuna. Do you want Robert from the Brooklyn to have a heart attack. Do you need another customer in the OR???

Mike
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

Aiala

If it ever gets to the point where we need a moratorium on bluefish, they needn't bother, because the ocean will already be a liquid desert.  :-\

~A~
I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

Dominick

Mexico banned blue fin tuna fishing a couple of weeks ago.  Apparently the countries to a fishing treaty on blue fin tuna reached a total catch and banned blue fin fishing for the rest of the year.  Here is the announcement.  Recreational fishing does not impact fishing like the commercial boats do.  Dominick
  Bluefin tuna fishing suspended

[​IMG]​
MEXICO
Monday, July 14, 2014, 23:50 (GMT + 9)

The National Commission of Aquaculture and Fisheries (CONAPESCA) ordered the Pacific fleet to suspend bluefin tuna (Thunnus orientalis) fishing for the rest of the year to prevent the catch quota of 5,000 tonnes set for Mexico from being exceeded.

CONAPESCA recalled that the quota for fishing bluefin tuna was set by an agreement published in the Official Gazette of the Federation published on 20 June, on the basis of the Resolution C-13-02 of the Inter-American Tropical Tuna Commission (IATTC).

The resolution raises the need for precautionary management measures throughout the area of distribution of bluefin tuna in the Pacific Ocean to help ensure the sustainability of the resource. And Mexico, as a member country of the organization, has the obligation to take the necessary measures to ensure compliance with the established management measure.

The tuna fishery is really important to the country for its economic contribution, amounting to MXN 1,307 million (USD 100.5 million) as well as food production for domestic consumption and the generation of jobs, both in its catching phase as well as in processing and marketing.
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Aiala

Quote from: mrbrklyn on August 04, 2014, 04:46:04 PM
What are the San Diego boats doing?

They are catching BFTs north of the border, and YFTs & YTs in Mexican waters. Very good fishing.

~A~

Dominick

Quote from: Aiala on August 04, 2014, 04:49:16 PM
Quote from: mrbrklyn on August 04, 2014, 04:46:04 PM
What are the San Diego boats doing?

They are catching BFTs north of the border, and YFTs & YTs in Mexican waters. Very good fishing.

~A~

I guess the U.S. is not part of the treaty.  Once the fish leave Mexican waters and enter U.S. waters they are fair game.  Dominick

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Aiala

Quote from: Dominick on August 04, 2014, 06:08:43 PM
I guess the U.S. is not part of the treaty.

Dominick, not as of this week, at least. But as we've seen, things can change overnight.  :P

~A~

Tightlines667

Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Dominick

Thanks Tightlines.  I knew you would weigh in on this thread.  Dominick

maxpowers

The temporary ban has been lifted.  You can catch BFT legally in Mexico as long as it is recreational.

bluefish69

Doc

We never had a BAN up here. The charter boats are putting fish in the boat everyday they can get off shore. The Brooklyn VI is starting their trips in 2 weeks.

Mike

bluefish69

Very possible but that is not a ban. There is also a over & under size limit. That still is not a ban. Ask Phil or Kenny on the Brooklyn VI & they will explain the rules. There are more then 1 type of Tuna being caught now.