Upgrading right hand plate on Newell S229-5?

Started by hobobob, August 07, 2014, 04:23:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hobobob

Hello everyone, I am servicing a friend's Newell S229-5 reel at the moment. This reel has plastic bearing cap on left side and non removable on the right side.  Since the right side bearing is a pita to get to, I plan to upgrade it to a plate from the P. G unit with a removable bearing cup so he does not have to take the whole reel apart to get to the bearing.  My question is, if I only switch the handle side plate, will there be any issue with spool alignment? Or it is better for me to do both plates?

alantani

if you have extra side plates to switch, you should be able to do so with no change in alignment.  you'd have to just give it a try and see.  hopefully it will not be a problem. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

hobobob

Thanks for the reply Alan, I have a P235 plate coming from ebay. Now the question is hunting down 1 big and 1 small bearing cap / cup. Big cup for the new plate, small cap to replace the plastic one on the left side plate.  I found someone was doing titanium ones before on this forum, is he still active and still selling them?

Tunacious

PM Alan or Bryan Young...they may know who sells them on the board. I believe Charkbait also sells replacement cups/caps.

Newell Nut

I got some titaniums from Bryan. If he is out you can get SS from chowderpuff7@yahoo.com. His name is Gregg Chow.

If all you have is the right side plate then everything will work okay. It is just a cosmetic issue with the odd left side plate.