SS gears

Started by garking84, August 08, 2014, 09:35:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garking84

Can anyone tell me if these newell gears are SS.

Alto Mare

I Wasn't ignoring you, as I told you I never got the photo. Your shot is not clear but I do believe those are Newells and yes, they are stainless steel.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

garking84

Thanks sal I really appreciate it.

Alto Mare

Not so fast, try to show a better shot, if they're really shiny, they might be from a seller on ebay... those would be worthless.
Most of the Newell gears  that I have are almost gray in color, not shiny.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

garking84

Oh ok. I'm not home at the time and that's the only picture I have in my phone. But I will post more pics asap

Newell Nut

Most Newell gears are a darker color because they are heat treated SS. There was a brief period of time when they had a polishing process for the inner surface of the gear for the drag washer contact. I have only one of those in my collection.

erikpowell

I have a shiny $25 e-bay set... they are rough as guts... i've been hoping they'll break in, but they are getting worse
i shredded my first BP jigmaster pinion and ebay set was a quick fix experiment.
I'm still waiting for Alan's updated pinions for my 2 BP sets

Black Pearl

Quote from: erikpowell on August 09, 2014, 04:25:41 AM
I have a shiny $25 e-bay set... they are rough as guts... i've been hoping they'll break in, but they are getting worse
i shredded my first BP jigmaster pinion and ebay set was a quick fix experiment.
I'm still waiting for Alan's updated pinions for my 2 BP sets

Yes, the Jigmaster gear set kits should be finished in 2 weeks because we have to make the pinion ring little tighter. I will replace your 2 sets when it is ready.

I am very sorry on the delay.

Thanks,
Alan

erikpowell

Thanks Alan!  Looking forward to it
As soon as your gears are in, I'll have the pleasure of tossing those ebay ones overboard  ;)

garking84

IV been pretty busy.  But here are more pictures. Hopefully I have the good newell  gears, and not the cheap ones from ebay. 

garking84

Pics

Alto Mare

They look like Newell to me.

garking84

Awesome.  Time for some fishing, I'll put them through the test on the weekend.   ;D

Black Pearl

Quote from: Alto Mare on August 14, 2014, 12:17:01 AM
They look like Newell to me.
They look like those eBay one to me.

garking84

Awe man  :(   I want these gears for my 112h. From what I understand your 5:1 gears won't work with the 112h. I really like your gears (bp), I'll be purchasing a set for my jigmaster. But I need some ss gears for my 3/0 I thought these would do the job.