makaira 10 II - field test results, 8/22/2010

Started by alantani, August 22, 2010, 11:43:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PaparockCal

Quote from: Rivverrat on December 20, 2017, 06:49:11 AM
The Wahoo will work just fine for 40 & still not shut off abruptly or be to harsh on the fisherman. For a 40-50 rod that will cast about any type stuff its a hard one to beat. Regardless I believe the rod your after will come from the Challenger Elite series. I'm all curious to see what you end up with.

Thanks so very much for all your help! It really helps a newbie like me! I plan to go to Charkbait sometime this month which is over an hour away because no one close seems to carry a big supply of UCs. 

MarkT

Where do you live?  Canyon Counrty? Bob Sands in the Valley has them too and is much closer than Charkbait. Go when Jamie is there and he'll educate you on UC.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

SoCalAngler

Quote from: PaparockCal on December 20, 2017, 10:51:08 PM
Quote from: Rivverrat on December 20, 2017, 06:49:11 AM
The Wahoo will work just fine for 40 & still not shut off abruptly or be to harsh on the fisherman. For a 40-50 rod that will cast about any type stuff its a hard one to beat. Regardless I believe the rod your after will come from the Challenger Elite series. I'm all curious to see what you end up with.

Thanks so very much for all your help! It really helps a newbie like me! I plan to go to Charkbait sometime this month which is over an hour away because no one close seems to carry a big supply of UCs. 

If you're headed to Charkbait in Huntington Beach you might as well call United Composites and see if you can swing by their Factory and check out all their rods

PaparockCal

I'm close to the intersection of Soledad Canyon Rd. and Whites Canyon Rd., Canyon Country, CA. I hope to visit the UC factory when I visit Charkbait; thanks for the suggestion.

Rivverrat

The GUSA Line of UC rods are all graphite & are usually a fast taper also a rod for someone who wishes to put pressuse on the fish. I have the 8' Tilefish from this series.

The Challenger Elite series are graphite with more fiberglass past the midsection being softer tipped than the GUSA. More parabolic in their action compared to the GUSA series.

They cast very well & will fish the full spectrum of their line rating like all of UC's will. With there sweet spot usually in the middle of the rods line rating. I own the Wahoo from this series. Much different than the Wahoo from the GUSA Series

The Challenger Platinum are beasts with extremely fast taper but soft E glass tips that can toss live bait & are good for some styles of jigging.
I have 2 70hp's from this series.  For my fishing they have become my all time most favored heavy live or cut bait rods. For when my rods are spiked or in a holder. They have no equal. While they are an extremely fast taper they still fish easy for what they are.

These rods are built along the lines of Calstars Graphiter
Only the Challenger Platinum from UC is much better. Not my opinion it is a fact.
You can feel the difference & see it any time you start to really lean on one or make a cast with one of these two.

Like to hear what you end up with.

Tell Mark, Beta or Blake at Charkbait Jeff from Kansas says Hi.... they know that I know & I love these rods....Jeff

PaparockCal

Interesting as I have owned a Calstar Grafighter GFGR-800M for a number of years I had made as a spinning rod for the Penn 9500 I had. It's the rig I just gave to my oldest step-son.

Rivverrat

The difference between UC Challenger Platinum & Calstar Grafighter is very noticable while using them, casting & with fish on. 

To further differentiate blanks in Randy's line the Challenger Elite is a moderate action, thin walled grahite E-glass blank. The Challenger Platinum is a heavy walled, woven graphite, fast action blank that transitions past the 1/2 way point to an E-Glass tip.

Randy makes the CP in a 8'. The CP 80H 20-40 & CP  80HP 50-80. But do understand there is a lot of material in these 8' models vs the 7' blanks. They are beastly sticks for their given line class. In spite of this they are well balanced for fishing the middle of their line rating & cast extremely well. 

A lot of people feel that Randy under rates his rods. Most all his rods can fish their rating with out stressing the blank in the least bit. However I feel most all of them fish best at the middle of their rating. I have 2 CP 70HP's. this blank is rated for 50-80 line. A lot of fellas out your way use this blank for 50 while Mark owner of Charkbait feels it's an almost perfect blank for 60. I fish these rods at 15 lbs. of drag when they are in my hands. However when fishing structure or bridge pilings which is where I use these rods most, I'll throw the lever forward with drag at 25 lbs.
Would this be the rod I would use for an extended battle using 80? No Way! Not much shock or flex left, but enough & it works great for my fishing & the fish I'm after & would work well enough for some one who only had this rod & needed to go from 60 - 80.

Rivverrat

CE Wahoo lifting 10 lbs. Based on what your saying this is the rod i think might work for you.

Rivverrat

8' Tilefish lifting 15 lbs. A fantastic 50 lb. rod The bend shuts off quick & it does not cast as well as the CE Wahoo....   Jon Vadney here on this forum did this blank for me   http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=21396.0

Rivverrat

Challenger Platinum  CP 70hp lifting 15 20 & 25 lbs.

PaparockCal

steelfish

The Baja Guy

Rivverrat

Gobi King

Quote from: Rivverrat on April 13, 2018, 01:09:34 PM
Quote from: steelfish on April 13, 2018, 12:49:28 AM
jeff

i like your clock

;D That clock was thrown together from actuall trash.

Shut the front door, who would throw that away? Good job salvaging it.
Shibs - aka The Gobi King
Fichigan