trollin reel?

Started by MB, August 19, 2014, 07:23:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MB

Hi everyone,

I love fishing/trolling as hobby and do offshore fishing ~ 2 weeks a year. Now I am searching for an adequate new real. Rod is a Penn Rampage Boat Travel 30-50 LB (need a Trevel Rod, that I can put it into my luggage). Target Fish (Tuna, Marlin, Sailfish, Wahoo, Dorado, ...). Fishing Areas are the Maldives and the Red Sea – mostly trolling.

I am searching and reading now for long time about a lot of reels and would like to ask you for advice what you would suggest and why:
.) Okuma Fishing SLR-50WII Solterra 2-Speed (Mono 100 Pound?)
-) very good price, but would it makes me happy?
.) Penn International 50 VS (Mono 80 Pound?)
.) Penn International 50 VSX (Mono 100 Pound?)
-) are there technical benefits between the Penn VSX and VS, or is it just the higher Drag on the VSX J, but also the lower line capacity L?

I also thought about change the Rod Tip (SIC Ring) to a Roller Tip. Has anybody her done this on a brand new Penn Rampage Boat Travel 30-50 LB :-)? ... If you are trolling, you are rolling...

Thank you and kind regards from Austria/Europe,
MB

doradoben

As far as I know, the current production Penn International 50VS reel is only manufactured as a 50VSW (wide), so it will have more monofiliment line capacity than a 50VSX. I think they have the same gear ratios for Hi & Low gear. The 50VSX may have higher available drag and were primarily designed to fish with smaller diameter spectra (braid) line and are narrower than a VSW. I am not familiar with the travel rod that you listed, but am guessing that it is a multi-piece rod for convenient air travel. If you plan to fish 80 lb. or 100 lb. test, you may want to reconsider your choice of rods. There are some very large Marlin in the Maldives during part of the year if your plan is to target them. 

johndtuttle

Quote from: MB on August 19, 2014, 07:23:31 PM
Hi everyone,

I love fishing/trolling as hobby and do offshore fishing ~ 2 weeks a year. Now I am searching for an adequate new real. Rod is a Penn Rampage Boat Travel 30-50 LB (need a Trevel Rod, that I can put it into my luggage). Target Fish (Tuna, Marlin, Sailfish, Wahoo, Dorado, ...). Fishing Areas are the Maldives and the Red Sea – mostly trolling.

I am searching and reading now for long time about a lot of reels and would like to ask you for advice what you would suggest and why:
-) are there technical benefits between the Penn VSX and VS, or is it just the higher Drag on the VSX J, but also the lower line capacity L?

I also thought about change the Rod Tip (SIC Ring) to a Roller Tip. Has anybody her done this on a brand new Penn Rampage Boat Travel 30-50 LB :-)? ... If you are trolling, you are rolling...

MB

I see a big disconnect between the rod rating and reels choices? Those reels would be more appropriate on a 100-130lb rated big game trolling rod.

No need for a roller tip if the guides are suitable for Braid. A modern reel is often going to have a long Mono top shot (for stretch and shock absorption) over braid backing for capacity.

A rod rated 30-50lb would fish 60lb braid with 100m of 60lb mono leader for example. A reel like a simple Penn Senator 4/0 or one of the new USA Senators in 4/0 would be perfect. Simple, reliable and powerful for trolling.

handi2

I also think you will much happier with a new 2 piece rod. It will come with a straight butt and bent butt. Get the short bent butt all roller rods. Pinnacle Marine on "The Hull Truth" forum makes excellent rods at a very good price. The 50/80 rod is perfect.

No need to go over 60 lb. mono on the 50's for trolling. Let the boat do the work.

I use all Shimano Tiagra's 30's and 50's wide. We use 40lb. on the 30's and 60lb. on the 50's.

When was fishing tournaments we used 30 on the 30 reels and 50 on the 50 reels.

The drag settings are from 12 to 15lbs when trolling and we have never had to go over 20lbs.

We have caught all the fish mentioned and some 400+ lb. Blue Marlin.

OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Alto Mare

Quote from: johndtuttle on August 20, 2014, 09:58:58 PM
Quote from: MB on August 19, 2014, 07:23:31 PM
Hi everyone,

MB

I see a big disconnect between the rod rating and reels choices? Those reels would be more appropriate on a 100-130lb rated big game trolling rod.

No need for a roller tip if the guides are suitable for Braid. A modern reel is often going to have a long Mono top shot (for stretch and shock absorption) over braid backing for capacity.

A rod rated 30-50lb would fish 60lb braid with 100m of 60lb mono leader for example. A reel like a simple Penn Senator 4/0 or one of the new USA Senators in 4/0 would be perfect. Simple, reliable and powerful for trolling.
Keep in mind John, our 4/0's here are a little different than the stock 4/0's ;D
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

johndtuttle

I hear ya Sal :).

Just sayin' a rod like that would be maxed out with about 15lbs of drag...not the slightest need for some of that heavy artillery.

doradoben

I agree with John. The rod described may be o.k. jigging for wahoo, school tuna, or GT's with a standard red 4/0, but is inappropriate matched to an International V 50. And yes Sal, I also agree that a 4/0 Tank is a completely different animal (and shouldn't be mounted on a rod like this either).

SoCalAngler

Like mentioned the VSW which the 50 VS only come in, the W stands for wide, are not topless like the VSX's. I think a better matched reel for that rod would be either a 16VS (10 lbs max drag at strike) or the 16VSX (28 lbs max drag at strike). If you spectra back the reel you will bet plenty of line on the 16's.

Edit: I forgot to mention the 16VS has 5.3 high and 2 to1 low gear and the VSX has 4.25 and 1.7 to 1 gears.

MB

Hi at all!

Thank you very much for your replies and your help!

I ordered now a "PENN SQUALL LEVER DRAG 2 SPEED SQL30VSW" (http://www.pennfishing.com/PENN%C2%AE-Squall%C2%AE-Lever-Drag-2-Speed/1315420,default,pd.html#start=7). It should be very similar to the international 30 VSW, just with graphite body. I just fish 2 weeks a year - I think that the lighter graphite frame is better for traveling and also cheaper than the international and will hopefully also get the job done.

Ordered also 500m 60LB Spectra/Braid and are planning to put ~200m 70LB mono on top. (would you recommend another seutp - 1000m 60LB Spectra sounds to much  for me :-)?)

What is your recommendation - should I use electric tape on spool and then the braid /spectra, or should I use mono instead of electric tape (how much?), then spectra and then mono on top?

Thank you and kind regards,
MB

SoCalAngler

The reel line setup sounds fine to me 700 meters is alot of line so you shouldnt need any more for the type of fishing your doing I think.

As far as tieing the the spectra to the spool you don't really need any tape if tied correctly. I wrap my spectra twice around the spools arbor starting with the line going under the spool from the front of the reel. From the front of the reel just make sure the spectra goes under the spool first and wrap it around a second time. I tie a San Diego knot which will slip up the line as more and more tension is applied to the line gripping the spool tighter and tighter. The more tension the tighter the grip. I also use tape just to make me feel better but it is not needed. I wouldn't use electrical tape but instead I use the Flexx Wrap finger type tape, its water proof and won't break down over time like other types of tape. You don't need to get the Flexx Wrap brand as it is a little more costly, other manufactures make this type of tape and use it for medical applications. I find it at drug stores and buy a brand name I trust, I have bought the generic brands and its stickyness seems stop working after a few months. I also use this tape for spectra/line protection against the skin and it works well.

Edit: Just one or two wraps of the tape around the arbor is all thats needed.