Avet MXL 5.8 free spool issue

Started by fiSHIN_sanity, August 21, 2014, 01:31:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fiSHIN_sanity

Hello all,

I'm having an issue with my MXL 5.8.
With the lever at the free spool position, it will not go into complete free spool but if I press the preset knob it would. Anyone else have this issue? How can I fix this?
Thanks for your input in advance
-T

garking84

Did you open the reel to service it ? Did you put grease on your drag?  I ask this because I had the same problem,  after opening my sx about 20 times ( I was going nuts)  >:(  I finally figured out what the problem was.  I had put too much cals grease on my drag and it was sticking to the brake disk. This was preventing my reel from going into free spool. I removed some of the grease and problem solved. . Hope this helps

fiSHIN_sanity

I think I may have, I will give it a try. Thanks for the advice!!!

fiSHIN_sanity

no, luck...took it apart with same results...hmmm...

Keta

Is the drag cam in the wrong place?
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

alantani

sounds like the spool shaft is sticking to the spool bearings or pressure plate bearings.  likely you have some corrosion going on inside. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

fiSHIN_sanity

Keta: the drag cams are in the correct place, i checked, rechecked and checked some more...lol
Alan: bought new bearings...should be here in a couple days.

DaBigOno

Did you recently service your reel?

Any issues with free-spool after servicing, I like to check the Belleville washers (())
Ua Mau ke Ea o ka Aina i ka Pono

fiSHIN_sanity

FINALLY FOUND THE ISSUE!!!! COUNTLESS HOURS AND $ SPENT ONLY TO FIND OUT THE SPOOL SPRING WAS A BAD ONE. SO, I STRETCHED IT OUT AND BAM!, IT WORKED. TO CURE MY OCD, I ORDERED A NEW ONE.
THANKS FOR THE HELP GUYS!

alantani

so it never worked from the beginning???? 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!