Xmas in August

Started by johndtuttle, August 21, 2014, 05:33:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johndtuttle

Well, you all know what it is like to get stuff from Fed-Ex or UPS. It's like Xmas in August:

Wow, that's kinda a big box?

Great Googly Moogly!   :o

This is a Classic from the get-go! USA Senator 113 standard 4/0.

A tiny 2-speed! Fathom 15 LD2!

The Classic sized Fathom 30 LD! 5.3:1 retrieve or 36" per crank!

Even a Spinner! Battle 2 6000. Wow, sure is smooth!

Even Juke-Logan was impressed! Yes, that is the Cone of Shame!  ;D

I'm a little overwhelmed...where to begin!  ;)

SoCalAngler

Nice! Time to slap some line on those puppies and get some salt on them, and I don't mean Juke. Just wondering why you went LD on the smaller reels, well I understand the two speed, and went with a star on the larger?

johndtuttle

Quote from: SoCalAngler on August 21, 2014, 06:12:00 PM
Nice! Time to slap some line on those puppies and get some salt on them, and I don't mean Juke. Just wondering why you went LD on the smaller reels, well I understand the two speed, and went with a star an the larger?

Just to check it out for kicks and grins and see if I like the gear ratio for vertical jigging (the Fathom 30 is 5.3:1). I have a Torque Star 25N with 4.8:1 gears in it for Bait and Surface Iron.

I definitely am a star drag guy when it comes to live baiting, LD reels usually for Vertical Jigging to snub short those pesky Yellows. :)

On the 113 USA Senator the idea is a Troller for Albies etc. I would use a 113N for (the old Baja) for old school yo-yo.

The 2-speed is an experiment for swim baits and such at Cedros, you do sometimes get picked up by Yellows when fishing Calicos and I want to see how it compares to a Revo NaCl for the same. It's gonna be interesting to see if the trade off for extra cranking power is worth it versus the convenience of a big baitcaster style reel.

These all fill holes (imagined really :) ) in the quiver and also to get a chance to tear apart the new Penn offerings. ;)

SoCalAngler

Oh I see. I have a Fathom 25N that I went back to the stock 6:1 gear replacing the slower BP aftermarket gear. I now mostly use this reel for the yoyo iron with 30lb test, if I was going to bump it to 40lb the slower gear would be nice. I can see a big pay off with the small 2 speed if, or should I say when you get picked up by a 30lb YT at Cedros. I'm kinda use to such bycatch as sometimes I will be live baiting Dorado or YT and get picked up by those pesky Marlin or Sailfish.

pullrachet

are the US senators released yet?

johndtuttle

Quote from: pullrachet on August 23, 2014, 01:18:42 AM
are the US senators released yet?

I think any day they will be available to ship to folks. I got some help from a contact at Penn to get that one a few days early.