Baja special

Started by broschro, August 21, 2014, 09:33:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

broschro

was called on to work on a baja special, one year old. both of the anti reverse dogs were worn down broken into pieces, corrosion everywhere! the real is less than one year old I know what real not to buy.

maxpowers

I bought mine used and the only thing that needed replacing was the dog springs.  I also upgrade the drag but overall the reel was in great condition.  Was it not greased thoroughly inside?

handi2

Very uncommon for these reels. It mush have been under water or never washed..
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

broschro

No grease inside. even the bearings were rusty.he said a big Aj did it! the ends of the dogs were gone!

TomT

Don't know what to say.  My Baja specials are about 10 years old.  They have caught many YT's up to 40+ pounds and a few AJ's--the largest being 50#.  I just serviced them again and they are like new inside.
TomT

Shark Hunter

That's what happens when you don't take care of your gear. ::)
Not a fan of the Baja, but Definitely a Fan of Penn. ;)
Life is Good!

broschro

I think they just fish them super hard without doing much to them.I'm going to build a few red 4/0 with ss gear gear sleves for their operation.

floating doc

One of Alan Tani's main lessons is to never fish a new reel without servicing it.
Central Florida

johndtuttle

Quote from: broschro on August 21, 2014, 09:33:48 PM
was called on to work on a baja special, one year old. both of the anti reverse dogs were worn down broken into pieces, corrosion everywhere! the real is less than one year old I know what real not to buy.

Absolutely anything can be destroyed even faster than that if neglected. There is no such thing as something that can survive the saltwater environment without maintenance.

Alto Mare

I agree! A couple of weeks ago, a friend here sent me a couple of Jigmasters, I love to bring them back so they could be fish again, the inner parts were too far gone and in the trash they went...and it takes a lot for me to throw them away.
Yes, even a reel that should last a lifetime could fail when abused.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

crackerman

If he is gonna get rid of that baja special, send it my way. Ill give it a shot!

Rothmar2

Quote from: floating doc on August 23, 2014, 02:33:35 AM
One of Alan Tani's main lessons is to never fish a new reel without servicing it.

While most of us here know this to be true, it's amazing how many do not see the value of carrying out this first vital step. Falls on deaf ears in most cases.

Alto Mare

Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Aiala

Quote from: Alto Mare on August 23, 2014, 11:45:06 AM
Guys, check out the description below...there is still life left  ::).

~A~
I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain