Old non-bearing 9/0 or Penn Mariner 49 for deep drop fishing

Started by JA_Angler, August 21, 2014, 11:28:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keta

I wish Penn had made a 349 width reel using the heaver 6/0 parts....a 449?  Better yet, I wish Tiburon would make a 114HNN frame kit.

Captain, a 49 will make a good teaser reel but the 349 is a far stronger reel, I've brought many Pacific halibut over 6' to the boat with them.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Alto Mare

Lee, you're never happy ::) ;D, the 6/0 is only 3/8" wider does it really matters that much :-\.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

JA_Angler

Thanks for all the responses guys. The old 9/0 it is then. I was feeling a little sentimental towards the 49 though. It looks like a lost puppy that no one wants and I think that I will still acquire it and give it a good home. It should be fine for very light trolling, right? 20-25lb mono, 5lb drag.

Keta

Quote from: Alto Mare on August 22, 2014, 09:16:53 PM
Lee, you're never happy ::) ;D, the 6/0 is only 3/8" wider does it really matters that much :-\.

When your as short as I am every bit counts.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Alto Mare

Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Lensters

Quote from: JA_Angler on August 22, 2014, 10:09:19 PM
Thanks for all the responses guys. The old 9/0 it is then. I was feeling a little sentimental towards the 49 though. It looks like a lost puppy that no one wants and I think that I will still acquire it and give it a good home. It should be fine for very light trolling, right? 20-25lb mono, 5lb drag.

I think moving them to "very light" duty would be over doing it.  I like to use mine for deep water Lings and Rockfish.  Honestly, I use them for Halibut sometimes too.  When I'm crewing on someone else's boat I try not to take more than one rod.  Most of the time the slightly lighter rod with the 49 will be the one I grab.
Lensters is also known as Len and will respond when addressed as either.

Disclaimer: My opinions, are mine and mine alone.  They should not be ascribed to Alan, moderators or anyone else on this site.  However, should you wish to, you may adopt them as your own.

Alto Mare

I don't hear much of that Lensters, yours must be a lucky one. ;D
It must be the size of the spool, I've seen sleeve posts get lose on the bridge plate a few times on those.
I actually tried to do something about it:
http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=6197.0
Sal

Lensters

That thread was one of the first I read when I found this site.  My problem had been with gear sleeves rounding off not the sleeve post getting loose.  I used a stainless steel gear sleeve and now I figure I'm good.  My gear probably doesn't take the beating that some of yours do.  I only get out on the salt 15 to 20 times a year.  Of those I would guess the 49 makes the trip 2 or 3 times.  The 349 tends to just go on the opening day of all depth Halibut, when I'm feeling particularly optimistic.  :)  Most of the time I'm packing a small Senator for shallower jigging or 309 for trolling.

I'm not understanding the comment about the size of the spool, please elaborate.
Lensters is also known as Len and will respond when addressed as either.

Disclaimer: My opinions, are mine and mine alone.  They should not be ascribed to Alan, moderators or anyone else on this site.  However, should you wish to, you may adopt them as your own.

Alto Mare

No Lensters, my reels don't take a beating, well, testing they do ;D. These were reels that came through my hands from others, I believe after seeing a half dozen of the same, would tell me that there is a problem. If your reel is working out for you, that's great and don't change a thing.
A larger spool requires more energy to turn, for example, if you were to put the same gear ratio of 3.5-1 in a 16/0, you would have a tough time turning the handle when fish is on.

By the way, my calculations might be wrong, Penn just introduced the Fathom 40 with 7-1 gear ratio, the reel is a 4/0 in size, retrieving 60" per turn.
I sent Steve a message if anyone has tested that reel, he answered that the reel is for special applications, I believe he said for targeting wahoo.
I'm anxiously waiting for some reports to come in :-\.