Can You Identify This PENN 501 Aftermarket Handle ?

Started by russ1962, August 22, 2014, 05:18:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

russ1962

Can somebody identify this handle? Is it an ACCURATE handle? It's on a PENN 501 that somebody had upgraded along with the power knob and TIB frame.
Thanks!

Bryan Young

The arm looks like an Accurate but the ball looks like one that Dawn carries.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Alto Mare

Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

RUSTY OLD COLT

Been looking for one of those arms and a small accurate handle for a while now.  Hopefully you will have better luck .  I am pretty sure it is a accurate handle with a different knob on it

maxpowers

I have been drilling out the penn counterbalanced arms and installing the handle.  They looked and feel very good in my hand.

russ1962

I was at my local tackle shop on Wednesday getting a couple of reels spooled and saw this reel in the used reel display case. I knew it was a 501 and asked to handle it. The Owner had purchased a bunch of fishing gear from an old gentleman that didn't fish anymore and this reel was one of many 'old school' PENN reels that he received.
I've always liked the 501 size and recently upgraded mine with the SS gear sleeve.

This one is in great condition! Just a few scratches on the TIB frame and no corrosion or pitting anywhere.
The owner had just put new drags in and lubed the inside. The upgraded ACCURATE handle and Power knob are also a very nice addition!
I'm going to take it apart to look at the gears and gear sleeve. It might have a SS gear sleeve too!

Just curious, But If any of you were looking for a 501 with these upgrades, how much would you be willing to pay?

johndtuttle

Quote from: russ1962 on August 23, 2014, 02:00:12 AM
I was at my local tackle shop on Wednesday getting a couple of reels spooled and saw this reel in the used reel display case. I knew it was a 501 and asked to handle it. The Owner had purchased a bunch of fishing gear from an old gentleman that didn't fish anymore and this reel was one of many 'old school' PENN reels that he redeived.
I've always liked the 501 size and recently upgraded mine with the SS gear sleeve.

This one is in great condition! Just a few scratches on the TIB frame and no corrosion or pitting anywhere.
The owner had just put new drags in and lubed the inside. The upgraded ACCURATE handle and Power knob are also a very nice addition!
I'm going to take it apart to look at the gears and gear sleeve. It might have a SS gear sleeve too!

Just curious, But If any of you were looking for a 501 with these upgrades, how much would you be willing to pay?

Well the knob is about $20, the frame about $65 and then the rest of the parts etc.

So after examining the reel and knocking some off for used condition and if the handle and color were right...I think $50 would be a good deal...$75 if it was set up perfect with an aluminum spool?  Made in USA side plates would be a bonus too. One with Accurate side plates is worth $125 to $150 or so depending.

Alto Mare

Some get out of hand :-\:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/151373327971?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

With  custom parts availability today, if you purchase a beat up 501 for $50 and spend another $150 on custom parts, you'll end up with a reel that is hard to beat. Yes, I do believe it's worth upgrading.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

russ1962

Yes, It has the aluminum spool too.
I thought the reel was well worth the $50 asking price and  didn't even try and haggle down to $40. (which I normally would have done.) :)

Alto Mare

Yes, I believe you got yourself a good deal. I purchased that handle from accurate a while back and paid $45, but mine had the "T" knob. Tune it up a bit and go fish.

handi2

I built a full Acccurate Jigmaster 501 and sold it on eBay 5 years ago for $189.00. It was Gold with stock internals..
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

russ1962

Thanks for all of your replies!
I already had a 501 that I had put a S.S. gear sleeve in. But this one was a good deal and I couldn't pass it up.  :)

I took it apart , hoping that it also had a S.S. gear sleeve but it did not. Luckily, The brass one that's in it is in perfect condition. I may take the s.s. gear sleeve out of my other 501 and put it in this one and then do the drag upgrade and be good with it. I have two extra sets of drag kits for my Newells and I think they should fit this reel also..

Thanks again for all of your replies!