Two more upgrades for my 501

Started by Marcq, August 23, 2014, 11:04:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marcq

Quote from: Alto Mare on August 29, 2014, 01:43:54 AM
but your fingers might not be as big as mine :-\ ;D... I like it!

No kidding!! Looks like you have sasquash fingers  ;)

Marc..

erikpowell

Sal, thanks for checking that out for us pal.

If I had your hands I could probably rebuild reels in my sleep  ;D ;D

Alto Mare

Quote from: erikpowell on August 29, 2014, 06:43:49 AM
Sal, thanks for checking that out for us Sal.

If I had your hands I could probably rebuild reels in my sleep  ;D ;D
;D ;D, they're not really that big, somehow they looked huge in the pic and I mentioned it as a joke ;D.

I just assembled the 505, here is what's working for me

six washers and the main gear is a regular, not deeper

again, I prefer to use the smaller tension spring on top, if you would like to use the heavier Belleville, go for it, you might need to remove the top washer to make it work.
I want to point out that anything above the last metal keyed washer on the stack, will only act as a spacer, you could stack metal washers on top of each other, it doesn't really matter.

Unfortunately, Alan's nice spacers will not work in this reel, the hole is too tight

you could make it work if you wanted to, by enlarging the hole with a step drill bit, I'm leaving this one as is because it was a gift from a friend and it's the only 505 I own.
The spacer sleeve will determine how soft you would like your drag at start, I like mine soft, so I used a 10.5mm sleeve. The 11mm will also work giving just a little drag, use what you like best.
I tested the gears before assembling the plate and didn't sound good, but when everything went in, the reel is working nice. I put some line on it and got 22lbs at max, I didn't want to push it further and neither should you.
btw, the kit used is from Bryan, .50mm metal washers and the carbon washers are also .50mm.
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Shark Hunter

Good Job Sal! ;) That should make it Crystal Clear! with the gears. ;D
I need to get mine ordered.
Life is Good!

Marcq

Just wondering Sal, are you using fine or course tooth gear sleeve and star?

Marc..

Alto Mare

Mark, I lost count on my Jigmasters ;D, some have the fine threads and some coarse.
The jigmaster that I'm showing has coarse threads and the 505 fine.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Marcq

Quote from: Alto Mare on August 29, 2014, 08:26:35 PM
Mark, I lost count on my Jigmasters ;D, some have the fine threads and some coarse.
The jigmaster that I'm showing has coarse threads and the 505 fine.

Do you see any advantage on the two, course vs fine?

Marc..

Alto Mare

Some claim  they get more travel with the star using the fine threads, I'm ok with either one. On larger reels if the fine was available, I wouldn't be interested in it.
I don't like aluminum stars, but I see some members are still showing them on their reels, if you must go with the aluminum star, don't use fine threads stainless sleeve, the star won't last very long.

Black Pearl

Quote from: Alto Mare on August 29, 2014, 09:59:37 PM
Some claim  they get more travel with the star using the fine threads, I'm ok with either one. On larger reels if the fine was available, I wouldn't be interested in it.
I don't like aluminum stars, but I see some members are still showing them on their reels, if you must go with the aluminum star, don't use fine threads stainless sleeve, the star won't last very long.

In addition, it is very bad to have aluminum material on stainless steel material. They don't play nice to each other.

Marcq

Marcq

Ok, so I received my extra washer from Bryan, keyed, eared and carbontex, I used the carbontex and the keyed, as you can see my deeper gear is now pretty full

Compared to this

My max drag is now 15lb  very smooth , with as much force I can put on the star, I'm ok with that. I tried the tension spring instead of the belleville but was not getting any drag at all so I put the belleville back on.

I also tried a bigger star (10-66) but it was too thick, I may shave the sleeve a bit since it is a bit taller then the original but will keep it like this for now

Marc..

Alto Mare

Your washers are still sitting low. I bet if you add one of your original keyed washer, right under the tension spring and remove 1/16" from the spacer, you would get to 22lbs.

Marcq

Quote from: Alto Mare on October 03, 2014, 10:59:51 PM
Your washers are still sitting low. I bet if you add one of your original keyed washer, right under the tension spring and remove 1/16" from the spacer, you would get to 22lbs.
SAl, too low judging from the first picture?

Marc..

Alto Mare

I noticed the eared washer is sitting lower than the lip on the gear on both pics, that washer is usually even, followed by a carbon fiber and a keyed washer.

Marcq

Quote from: Alto Mare on October 03, 2014, 11:36:40 PM
I noticed the eared washer is sitting lower than the lip on the gear on both pics, that washer is usually even, followed by a carbon fiber and a keyed washer.
Ha! I see what you mean

So starting at the gear
Carb
earded
carb
keyed
carb
eared
carb
keyed
carb
earded