Delrin top on drag stack

Started by Newell Nut, August 25, 2014, 04:39:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Newell Nut

I tried a delrin washer on top of the drag stack on a P322. This is one of the original 4 stacks with the SS drag spacer with the wide flange at the drag stack contact. The star was a little hard to turn at high settings and the delrin between the drag spacer and top drag washer made it a lot smoother and easy to turn the star. No loss of drag strength. This is a nice new product that Sal has found and I just ordered a piece of it to make some extra washers.

funhog

Good info.   Are you using a similar thickness Delrin materia as Sal?  .84mm (.033inch)

Newell Nut

Exactly the same as Sal since he sent me the sample piece as a teaser. Bought some today at McMaster after the test. .031"

gstours

;D   ya Sal is a good guy,   thats for sure......gst

Dominick

Sal, the Tank is feeling a little insufficiente right now.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Alto Mare

Quote from: Dominick on August 26, 2014, 03:35:16 AM
Sal, the Tank is feeling a little insufficiente right now.  Dominick
Send it over Dominick and I'll give it a boost, or would you rather I send you some Delrin?... Just let me know.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Dominick

It was a hint to send some delrin to replace the under gear drag.  Of course I will try it top and bottom as you suggest in the post.  So send 2.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Alto Mare

No hint needed, just tell me what you need ;). If you want to send the reel, go for it, or I could send some Delrin.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Tiddlerbasher

Sal,
Not directly related to delrin washers but........ I have a sample of kevlar fibre drag washer sheet (1mm thick). If you would like to 'play' with this pm me your address and I'll mail it to you.
I don't think it will be any use for eared washers but flat washers it works fine (I'm running it on my line spooler drag :)). It looks a bit like cardboard  ??? until you put it under pressure in a drag system - then it performs (after all it is used in aircraft brakes)! If you don't want to try it - maybe some other adventurous soul would :)?  Let me know.
Chris.

Alto Mare

Chris I thank you for the offer, but lets try one thing at a time so we don't lose track. I did hear of Kevlar before and I knew they use it on bullet proof vests.
Here is one info that might not make it work for us:
It's worth noting that Kevlar also has its drawbacks. In particular, although it has very high tensile (pulling) strength, it has very poor compressive strength (resistance to squashing or squeezing). That's why Kevlar isn't used instead of steel as a primary building material in things like buildings, bridges, and other structures where compressive forces are common

Thanks! Sal

Tiddlerbasher

Sal I think we are talking about 2 different types of product. Kevlar woven/ single fibre, ie bullet proof vests or European fighter plane chassis etc, and a compressed fibre composite. The former has tensile strength the other has compressive strenth (otherwise it wouldn't function as a brake material for aircraft). My personal tests demonstrate usefulness as a fishing reel drag material. I was just hoping someone else would try it to confirm or decry my results. No problem either way.

Alto Mare

Sorry Chris, I had no idea that there were two different types of Kevlar. Yes, if you've already tried  them out, I would love to see how they work for myself, thanks!

russ1962

I could swear that I read somewhere that Delrin washers aren't recommended in the main gear recess on Newell 4-stacks.
If this is correct, why not??

Can someone please clarify?

Thanks in advance!