How does one set drag without a drag scale?

Started by Dominick, August 25, 2010, 02:06:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dominick

Hello Everyone:  Any tips on how to set the drag without using a drag scale?  Is there a way to put a weight on the line?  If one were to put a weight on the line how much line would you feed out to get a close drag weight?  I do not want to buy another toy.  My wife hits the ceiling everytime a package comes in from Charkbait or Penn Parts.  She once said how many fishing reels do you need.  My answer was how many shoes do you need.  ;D
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

alantani

pull on the line.  when it tinkles, you are at 25% of line weight or better. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

BigT

We all have the problem of justifying our obsession I think, Pescachaser ;D

I learned long ago that it's best to keep my rods in a full rod-rack in plain sight. When a new one is added, the 'forest camouflages the tree'!!

And don't expect the 'shoes' analogy to work too well either... because "that's different" ::)

Cheers, T
more of my rebuilds on
http://www.fishraider.com.au

wallacewt

if it doesnt tinkle buy the missus a  pair of thongs

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Dominick

Ok.  I bit the bullet and just ordered a scale.   :o  Hey Big T: now that is an idea camouflage.  All in jest.  She really doesn't mind (I think).  Now let's see, hmm did she have a smile on her face? ???  Alan:  I ask a real question and you tinkle on my post, hmmm. ;D
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Bryan Young

If you already don't have a fish scale to weigh your fish, then maybe you need to buy one and have a dual purpose.  This way, you can really say you caught a 20# fish instead of guessing.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

wallacewt

hi pescachaser.ive been thinking about a serious answer to your ?attach the reel,run line thru guides,tie on empty bucket if you have no weights,tighten up drag.wait the reason is coming,pour in a couple of litres of water,take up slack,lift,repeat until rod tip is 90 deg, to butt.this is maximum,exceed and rod breaks.now release drag slowly until rod starts to straighten,drag is set.you know how much a litre of water weighs,right,so now you no how much the drag is.some rods dont bend 90 deg,rod breaks.alternetively,buy some pink hand scales,must be pink for your lovely wife,wait,not at tackle shop but at kitchen shop.the proceeds go to breast cancer reseach and you want to help,hero,now crawl and you may be able to borrow.now with the scales weigh the bucket of water x by 5= line to use.hoorah!

dylan

By "tinkles" I would guess that Alan meant the funny sound mono makes when it's pretty tight and running through the guides. 

Dave Bentley

Dylan, You must be an Aussie. Over here "Tinkle" means to take the... or have a... P*** (Wee)
Only believe that which you know to be true.

wallacewt

last throw of the dice,we have a good working curve in the rod,we have a greased fiber washer drag,smooth.we have 2.72 liters of fresh water,=6lb,multipyx5=30.line.wait for it,casting weight is 1oz=10lb so maxi is 3oz.
6lb drag 30lb line 3oz weight.does any of this help?

kapnd

I have a 5 gallon bucket on the boat that is marked to the drag settings that I use frequently.  Just fill with water to the line and lift the rod till the bucket lifts up and slowly settles back to the deck.  This does require the use of a scale, or some careful measuring, but just once.
Or just use the old trick my mentor taught me when fishing for Ahi:  Two hand drag-- keep tightening until you cant budge it with both hands, then its about right!

Gman_WC

I've always used a scale to set my reels in the past, but in a pinch the bucket method sounds like a plan.
Never used it, so let me see if I've got this right.
1 gal H2o = 8.33Lbs

2 x 8.33 = 16.66Lbs

50LB test \ 3 = 16.66

So using 2gal of water in a bucket should give me a correct drag setting on a 4/0 (113h) running 50# mono
correct?
-g
Walnut Creek, CA

mako42

Quote from: Gman_WC on June 30, 2011, 04:26:46 AM
I've always used a scale to set my reels in the past, but in a pinch the bucket method sounds like a plan.
Never used it, so let me see if I've got this right.
1 gal H2o = 8.33Lbs

2 x 8.33 = 16.66Lbs

50LB test \ 3 = 16.66

So using 2gal of water in a bucket sould give me a correct drag setting on a 4/0 (113h) running 50# mono
correct?
-g

Don't forget to weigh the bucket!  ;D

Gman_WC

:o Thanks Mako. I"ll now do the Homer Simpson "Dohh!" -g
Walnut Creek, CA