How does one set drag without a drag scale?

Started by Dominick, August 25, 2010, 02:06:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alto Mare

Quote from: wallacewt on September 27, 2011, 03:43:44 AM
rod&reel,its obvious you want me executed sal

Not at all Wallace, we would miss you too much. Bring the gear out in the middle of the night, she'll never know it ;D
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

redsetta

We've got a lot of bronzies over this way, too.
They can get up towards 650lb+ (300kg) and 8ft+ isn't uncommon.
Their reputation here (in NZ) isn't the same as in Oz, where they've been responsible for a few attacks.
I see them fairly regularly out in the Hauraki Gulf.
Even had a couple of 8-footers get pretty close while swimming at Rakino Island last summer.
They're well fed, though, so no worries...
Definitely a strong fish, and they still give me a start when I'm out on the paddle board.  ;D
We get orcas out front of my place too around this time of year - now they're scarey (when you're in the water with 'em)...  :o
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

Dominick

Quote from: wallacewt on September 27, 2011, 03:13:19 AM
the bronze whaler is possibly the hardest fish in aussie waters to land.not sure how big they grow but 9/10ft are common.they never give up,roll,responsable for a lot of attacks.there is even a recorded case where a fisherman gutted one,threw him back plus the guts and it  ate its own innards.they are very common and for years much despised and killed.they are much respected in this day and age
,thankfully.you guys want to come over you can stay at my place,plenty of boats to get you fishing as well.dont come this week,me and the missus are off on a cruise.cheers   
Wallace:  Ate the guts? I hate their guts ;D.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Dominick

Quote from: redsetta on September 27, 2011, 08:27:18 PM
Even had a couple of 8-footers get pretty close while swimming at Rakino Island last summer.
They're well fed, though, so no worries...
Definitely a strong fish, and they still give me a start when I'm out on the paddle board.  ;D
We get orcas out front of my place too around this time of year - now they're scarey (when you're in the water with 'em)...  :o
Justin:  Shamu is cute.  He does tricks.  Nothing to be afraid of.  Of course the bronzies are well fed their staple is surfers on paddle boards :).  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

redsetta

Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

Alto Mare

Justin, do yourself a favor and also us...stay out of that shark-infested water ::)
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

anthony

Sorry folks for bringing this old post up ,  ;D . Question , how do you guys feel of pre setting your drags let say a day or two before your trip. Would it damage the drag washers ?

Thanks

Bryan Young

I'm presuming we are talking about star drag systems.  Many of mine are preset for months and just verified the during the week before the trip.  You will hear otherwise where they loosen their drags after the washdown and preset them before a trip.  That is also acceptable.

A few days before will not make a difference.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Ron Jones

IF we are talking star drags it has never really mattered to me. If the fish is pulling more line than I want then I tighten the star as much as I need. If I tighten it all the way down and he is still taking line I am in for a fun time!! The actual resistance measured in pounds is not all that important to me. Very useful in measuring improvements of modifications, not so much any other time.

Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

saltydog

The bucket method sounds great but when I was a charter capt. in Floridia my buckets always walked off to the point of locking them up.
Remember...."The soldier above all other people prays for peace, for he
must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war!" Douglas
MacArthur

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

ijlal

Sorry guys, I just came across this old thread now while searching for a drag scale, and just now got a brain wave, so am sharing it...

Buy a cheap (Chinese) spring scales such as the one in the attached photo... make a wire ring around it, below the protruding pointer. make the wire ring tight enough to stay and loose enough to move freely when pushed by the tin pointer - it may not be so easy to attain that but you will have to figure out a way. A plastic ring about 1/2in high would do the job much better as it would slide over the scales much easier provided you can find the right size. Before taking a reading, note down the reading for the ring edge touching the sliding pointer. If it says 1# for example, deduct 1# from the reading you get after each test. It's that simple. I am going to find a cylindrical scales and make me a drag scales! :D

Can't justify spending $50 or more for what could be done in $5!

Cheers!

I live 'fishing'!

japeto

I use my wife's small dumbbells to set drag on my Avets.  The weights are in increments of 1, 2, 3, 5, 10, 12, 15, 20, 25 and 30 lbs.  I run the line through the guides and tie to the weight, which is laying on the ground.  Then I lift the tip and adjust until the line just barely comes off the spool.  I don't try to lift the weight fully off the ground.  I'll set strike drag to 20% of line rating. This usually translates to about 33% at full setting, which I don't use unless fishing for grouper with live bait. I've caught some large fish with zero line failures using this method.

Gfish

Not for the "cosmetically oriented"! I've found that I can simi-permanently mark my drag star on the inside of one a the tips so it's lined up with a mark on the inside a the handle, after testing it at home with a nice digital scale. A sticky piece a white paper with scotch tape over it, works. You can even write down the lbs. at that setting. Simi- permanent works so it can be eaisly changed when ya get new line 'er some upgrade.
Also, found I can do almost the same on my Accurate LD. Mark the drag preset knob relative to the non-moving sleeve just below it witha sharpie, for _lbs. at strike after testin. Perm. marker will come off with rubbin alcohol.
Found that it's much easier than re-scaling, after having had to move my drag adjustment during a fight(or a snag), when I'm "out there". Or, when after rising, I back alla way off on the drag for temporary storage. Changing the marks(which are actually just a reference point which is 5lbs. usually for me) is usually only needed after a take-apart type service, especially if drag washers 'er serviced/changed.
Gfish
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

alantani

if they're greased, you should be able to leave them buttoned down forever. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!