How does one set drag without a drag scale?

Started by Dominick, August 25, 2010, 02:06:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gfish

DPX-2 600 size, set for 6lbs. at strike. Set with a digital scale, should be good till I take it apart again. I leave it in free-spool for storage then just line-up the three diffrent marks by movin the lever. Though a lite strike setting, 5-8lbs. isa good reference point.
Gish
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

wfjord

Prior to discovering this website it never occurred to me to use a scale for setting the drag. I've always just done it by feel and then readjusting if I need to and never really had a problem.  But then I've never fished offshore for the really big things that many of you guys go after.  I do have an old chatillon scale --might be fun to tie on and play around with it.  Do you guys use a scale primarily with lever drags or with any kind of reel?  I've never owned a lever drag reel.

Dominick

Quote from: wfjord on September 23, 2017, 04:17:13 PM
Prior to discovering this website it never occurred to me to use a scale for setting the drag. I've always just done it by feel and then readjusting if I need to and never really had a problem.  But then I've never fished offshore for the really big things that many of you guys go after.  I do have an old chatillon scale --might be fun to tie on and play around with it.  Do you guys use a scale primarily with lever drags or with any kind of reel?  I've never owned a lever drag reel.
Wfjord, I started this thread and when I was told to stop being cheap and purchase a scale I did so.  It also seems that advice keeps changing about whether to let the drag off for storage or just leave it.  After trying the scale and loosening the drags for storage this is what I do for both star and lever drags.  Before starting this thread I used to set the drag by feel.  I have gotten back to setting the drag by feel.  When big game fishing I tighten the drag to the point where I cannot pull line off the spool.  Then I set the lever to just below strike so that the fish is taking line.  When the fish is taking line I push the lever to strike and give the hook a hard set.  I know there will be a bunch of members on here that will say I really should use a scale.  I do it this way and it works for me.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

wfjord

That makes sense, Dominick.  I guess most of us ultimately settle on what works best for us.  If you've gotten accustomed to using a lever drag, do you find it difficult to switch back to a star drag?

Dominick

Quote from: wfjord on September 23, 2017, 07:53:14 PM
That makes sense, Dominick.  I guess most of us ultimately settle on what works best for us.  If you've gotten accustomed to using a lever drag, do you find it difficult to switch back to a star drag?
Not at all.  As a matter of fact I believe the star drag is more versatile.  The only reason I mentioned lever drag is that the big Internationals are lever drag.  I have caught Marlin with a Penn Senator 114 HLW.  The old reel worked flawlessly.  Dominick

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

ijlal

Quote from: Dominick on September 23, 2017, 10:35:47 PM
Not at all.  As a matter of fact I believe the star drag is more versatile.  The only reason I mentioned lever drag is that the big Internationals are lever drag.  I have caught Marlin with a Penn Senator 114 HLW.  The old reel worked flawlessly.  Dominick

Only major issue with catching marlin on a star drag would be you cannot run your lure/bait at water drag and later set the hook when the fish has turned its head and moving away from the boat with the lure/bait in it's mouth.
I live 'fishing'!

Gfish

Though I use mostly star drags, I think lever drag reels have better actual drag function. Also, they combine free spool and drag adjustment in one unit(lever). Downside is the somewhat complex internal construction, especially the removable spool shaft. I'm practicing  on a new reel I got now, until I get used to disassembly/assembly and exactly how each part and system functions.
Gfish
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Dominick

Quote from: ijlal on September 23, 2017, 10:46:08 PM
Quote from: Dominick on September 23, 2017, 10:35:47 PM

Only major issue with catching marlin on a star drag would be you cannot run your lure/bait at water drag and later set the hook when the fish has turned its head and moving away from the boat with the lure/bait in it's mouth.
I just face the front of the boat and push.  It sets the hook every time.  Dominick

conchydong

Both stars and levers have their best uses. For trolling and kite fishing, I much prefer levers. For setting drags a scale is the best but you can use weights or a bucket of measured water. As much as we spend on reels, rods and line, a simple scale is a cheap investment. Like Dominick said, after a while you can get a pretty good feel for it and do it by hand.

ijlal

Quote from: conchydong on September 23, 2017, 11:50:01 PM
Both stars and levers have their best uses. For trolling and kite fishing, I much prefer levers. For setting drags a scale is the best but you can use weights or a bucket of measured water. As much as we spend on reels, rods and line, a simple scale is a cheap investment. Like Dominick said, after a while you can get a pretty good feel for it and do it by hand.

I've been fishing for the last 41-42 years, (37 years since I first owned a fishing rod and reel,) and have always set my drags by the feel of it although I did get a feel of it by playing around at home with a scale. Only during the past few years, since I began going offshore for billfish, did I begin presetting drags at home with any regularity.
I live 'fishing'!