"Ventage" Penn Challange

Started by Keta, August 25, 2014, 06:18:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keta

Quote from: MarkT on September 08, 2014, 03:04:14 AM
Good deal with your hand, is the truck doing better too?

I sold the F-150 to a friend's grandson and took that $ and the money the insurance gave me and bought a 2000 double cab short box F-250 diesel.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Vintage Offshore Tackle

Quote from: Norcal Pescador on August 26, 2014, 12:42:25 AM
Hmmmm......
A Jigmaster challenge or a Penn challenge? There must be rules in any contest: :-\

For a Jigmaster challenge:
Rule #1  Reel must be based on a 500 or 501
Rule #2  USA-made only
Rule #3  No more rules ;D

For a Penn challenge:
Rule #1  Single speed Penns only, made in USA
Rule #2  No Penn Internationals
Rule #3  ???

Who's next?

If you are allowing Jigmasters with aftermarket parts, try one of these Accurate Magnums, which incorporate the drive train from the 113H Senator including Accurate 4:1 stainless gears.  Load it up with 80 lb. braid and you are good to go for anything that you are likely to encounter on your 5 or 6-day trips.  I have several to sell in red or gold and 99 or 500 width.  I also have a 4/0 Magnum with the 114H drive train.

Keta

That would be a reel for the "unlimited class", I'm putting together a stock 501 for the Challenge.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Bryan Young

Quote from: Vintage Offshore Tackle on October 17, 2014, 04:35:45 PM
Quote from: Norcal Pescador on August 26, 2014, 12:42:25 AM
Hmmmm......
A Jigmaster challenge or a Penn challenge? There must be rules in any contest: :-\

For a Jigmaster challenge:
Rule #1  Reel must be based on a 500 or 501
Rule #2  USA-made only
Rule #3  No more rules ;D

For a Penn challenge:
Rule #1  Single speed Penns only, made in USA
Rule #2  No Penn Internationals
Rule #3  ???

Who's next?
If you are allowing Jigmasters with aftermarket parts, try one of these Accurate Magnums, which incorporate the drive train from the 113H Senator including Accurate 4:1 stainless gears.  Load it up with 80 lb. braid and you are good to go for anything that you are likely to encounter on your 5 or 6-day trips.  I have several to sell in red or gold and 99 or 500 width.  I also have a 4/0 Magnum with the 114H drive train.
Will the 113H bridge screws work?  I am helping a friend put one together for another friend.  Basically, only I was provided with frame, spool, sideplates with bearing caps and that is it.  I'm using a 113h yoke with a 500 eccentric.  My last remaining issue is my bridge plate screws are too short the thickness of the bridgeplate.  I only have jigmaster bridgeplate screw so I'm hoping that 113h bridge plate screws will work because I can cockroach them from Alan T. :D
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Vintage Offshore Tackle

Bryan, I do not do any of my own reel work, so please take what I have to say with a grain of salt, but I'm pretty sure that the stock Jigmaster bridge screws will work because I just pulled the bridge screws out of a Magnum and they appear to be Jigmaster screws.  Also, I do not think that your 113H yoke is going to work, as I believe that the hole spacing is to long to fit the Accurate Magnum sideplate.  The yoke that Accurate supplied with the kit was the Jigmaster yoke with the arc for the pinion gear enlarged to accommodate the larger 113H gear.  If you do not have one of these special yokes, you can grind out a stock Jigmaster yoke to the larger diameter.  Finally, it doesn't sound like you have the shield that goes over the open portion of the main gear case that protrudes below the edge of the side plate.  You will need to fabricate something to cover this gap to prevent saltwater intrusion.  Good luck with the project.

Randy

Bryan Young

Thanks Randy. 

Once I can get it all put together, I'll post something. The build has been interesting and challenging at the same time.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

foakes

Quote from: Vintage Offshore Tackle on October 17, 2014, 10:04:02 PM
Bryan, I do not do any of my own reel work, so please take what I have to say with a grain of salt, but I'm pretty sure that the stock Jigmaster bridge screws will work because I just pulled the bridge screws out of a Magnum and they appear to be Jigmaster screws.  Also, I do not think that your 113H yoke is going to work, as I believe that the hole spacing is to long to fit the Accurate Magnum sideplate.  The yoke that Accurate supplied with the kit was the Jigmaster yoke with the arc for the pinion gear enlarged to accommodate the larger 113H gear.  If you do not have one of these special yokes, you can grind out a stock Jigmaster yoke to the larger diameter.  Finally, it doesn't sound like you have the shield that goes over the open portion of the main gear case that protrudes below the edge of the side plate.  You will need to fabricate something to cover this gap to prevent saltwater intrusion.  Good luck with the project.

Randy

Wow! -- Sounds like you ought to be doing some of your own work, Randy...Good analysis,

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Vintage Offshore Tackle

Thanks for the kind words Fred.  I'm OK with the theory, but unfortunately when it comes to putting it to work,  I'm all thumbs.  Every time that I take the right side plate of a reel apart, little springs go flying in every direction and I wind up putting all of the parts in a shoebox and taking it to one of my more talented friends.

doradoben

Randy, I knew there were magnum versions of the Jigmaster and Squidder but had no idea that there was a 4/0 Magnum. I can't believe I didn't realize it before now. It makes perfect sense. If you would, could you post a photo of it?  I'm sure that there are others here that would be as interested in seeing it as I am. Thanks..

Ron Jones

After Cedros, I have very little use for mono. Braid with floro is the way for me.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Big Tim

Quote from: noyb72 on October 18, 2014, 01:14:41 AM
After Cedros, I have very little use for mono. Braid with floro is the way for me.
Ron

Ron: It wont matter...I'm going to win the challenge anyways, you can fish anything you want  ;D ;D ;D Brother  ;D ;D ;D And how bout them Giant's!!!

Vintage Offshore Tackle

Quote from: doradoben on October 18, 2014, 12:35:13 AM
Randy, I knew there were magnum versions of the Jigmaster and Squidder but had no idea that there was a 4/0 Magnum. I can't believe I didn't realize it before now. It makes perfect sense. If you would, could you post a photo of it?  I'm sure that there are others here that would be as interested in seeing it as I am. Thanks..

No problem Ben.  Here goes:

Bryan Young

Randy, are the one and only vintage tackle guy at the fred hall show?  I talked with you over the phone regarding any PG255s. 

In either case, good to have you aboard.

MarkT

Quote from: Big Tim on August 27, 2014, 01:10:51 AM
Quote from: doradoben on August 26, 2014, 01:38:42 AM
Rob posted some rules, but I'm not sure that I understand. ??? Is this challenge, catch the biggest fish, win all of the liquor? ;)

If I can actually remember all the booze that was on that trip? It would be one heck of a haul  ;D ;D ;D

Dude, if you can remember all the booze on the trip you didn't have enough! I'm sure Ed probably doesn't remember all he had!
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Vintage Offshore Tackle

Quote from: Bryan Young on October 18, 2014, 02:14:28 AM
Randy, are the one and only vintage tackle guy at the fred hall show?  I talked with you over the phone regarding any PG255s. 

In either case, good to have you aboard.

That's me Bryan.  My booth name is Vintage Offshore Tackle.  I remember talking with you, and I really appreciate your kind words.  I'm sorry to say that I still don't have any PG255s.  I do have a couple of beautiful Pro Gears, the newer style Wahoo Special and a 540 Albacore Special.  I also have a new in the box Pacifica 2000, but that's about it for Pro Gears for me at the moment.  It's fantastic to see what you and Alan have put together with this website, and it's great to know that there are so many people who enjoy the old school reels.

Thanks again,

Randy