Which reel for deep dropping?

Started by JA_Angler, August 29, 2014, 12:18:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JA_Angler

Hey guys. Looking for some guidance here. Of my current reels, which two should I use for deep dropping (300 - 1000 feet) for snappers? I will be loading each reel with 500yd of 80LB braid. The reels are Penn 9/0 non-bearing, Penn 113H, Penn 114H, Daiwa 450h Sealine, Daiwa 900H Sealine with upgraded drags. 4-6 hours per trip, 6-8 trips per month. Manual retrieval for now, Fish Winch in 3-4 months time. I had gone ahead and loaded the 2 Daiwas but bad weather this weekend will allow me change the setups. My focus now is deep dropping with a little light trolling. 

handi2

The 114H will hold over 1000' of that braid. Any of the larger reels will be fine. I do have a new Fish Winch used one trip. It has the adapters for Penn 114H and Penn 9/0. I'll gladly sell it when you are ready.

I use the Daiwa Tanacom Bull reels. 2 of them are the original and the other is the newer less expensive one. They are exactly the same thing inside. I changed all the drags to greased Carbontex.

I tried the Fish Winch while we were using the other electrics and it was just too slow for me. Plenty of power but just slow. Even hooked up to the 114H.

The non bling ones are around $500.00 filled with 80lb Jerry Brown.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

xaf

I too have the Daiwa Tanacom 1000 for deep dropping and would recommend it.  However, I am getting a spare power cord since that seems to be the weak spot on these reels.  Mine went out 150 miles from port last weekend.

handi2, Curious, why the upgrade to the greased carbontex.  What do they have as original drag washers?

Keta

I've found that 60# Spectra has considerably less drag than 80# and use it for my deep water reels.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Capt Ahab

Quote from: Keta on September 03, 2014, 03:51:40 PM
I've found that 60# Spectra has considerably less drag than 80# and use it for my deep water reels.

I second then - 80 is overkill
30-60 is fine and will make life easier and allow you to catch more fish

handi2

The original drag washers work fine. They are a paper material and the only reason I changed them is b/c we have caught have many 30lb+ fish with them over the last 3 years. Even a 150lb Warsaw Grouper off an oil rig in the Gulf. We had to hand crank that one..!
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

JA_Angler