My 1st Reel Build - Jigmaster 500

Started by coastal_dan, September 03, 2014, 08:39:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alto Mare

Very nice job Dan ;), there is no stopping you now, don't try to fight it, it won't help.
Don't blame us if things get out of hand, Alan is the blame. If it wasn't for him, we wouldn't be here. ;D
Looks like the parts on your second project could use a good cleaning, when mine look the same, I usually soak them in Simple Green.
here is what I do, I use a bucket with a lid so that stuff doesn't stink up the house

I place the parts in a strainer, this one is stainless steel... the wife will never know ;D

If the parts are in rough shape, I soak them for a couple of days, these have been soaking for 3 days.
Don't worry about the parts getting damaged, it never happen to me yet and I use straight Simple Green, no water added

I will then run them in some warm water and dry them up on a towel

at times you might have to hit the parts with a soft brass brush, these didn't need much help

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Big Tim

I love it Sal...We can blame Alan for everything  ;D ;D ;D I like the 5 gallon bucket trick!

Alto Mare

Tim, when you're done with the Simple Green, put it back in its jug and load that bucket with bricks to test your drags, win win situation. ;D. When done, back to Simple Green for some cleaning ;).
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Big Tim

I use Werth's Orange Peel Citrus de greaser...Works fantastic but evaporates...I will try simple green

Shark Hunter

That simple green is good stuff. It just takes patience to let the parts soak. I diluted mine 50/50, and it still works great. Mine was industrial strength from work. I don't know if that makes a difference.
Life is Good!

gstours

Thanks for showing you project.  Thanks also for the tip with simple green soaks......Just sit and wait.   great!    gst.

coastal_dan

Sal - you read my mind!  I've been doing some research on parts washers and what not, but this sounds much cheaper and less conspicuous in the bank statement :).  As far as testing the drag I've been doing the 8 lb test...one jug of water, haha.

Thanks all and looking forward to learning more from all you folks.
Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

coastal_dan

Finally got that new spool and 5+1 drag kit, will be installing the drag kit one of these nights :)

Looking forward to filling it with 220 yds of 30 lb Momoi, I think it'll be my bay sharking reel.
Dan from Philadelphia...

mike155

Very good looking reel. I installed one of the 5+1 kits in mine and got a max drag of 24#. I got to get me a Tib frame and power handle at some point to finish it out.

basto

That reel looks great in stock form.  Do you know what year it was made?
DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n

HOLEINTHEWATER

I USE SIMPLE GREEN MY ULTRASONIC CLEANER FOR MY REEL AND GUN PARTS. 

coastal_dan

Thanks!  I don't know the exact year, I would love to know a round about though.  I'm assuming 70's...ish.
Dan from Philadelphia...

coastal_dan

Can an expert weigh in on if this bad boy is braid compatible with the shown upgrades?  Will it need the stainless gears?  I want to put together a bottom fishing set up based around 50lb braid and waters 60'-350' deep...lead is 4-20 oz...If this is up to snuff I may just need a rod...weighing my options.  Thanks and Merry Christmas!
Dan from Philadelphia...

fIsHsTiiCkS

Quote from: coastal_dan on December 25, 2014, 04:00:50 AM
Can an expert weigh in on if this bad boy is braid compatible with the shown upgrades?  Will it need the stainless gears?  I want to put together a bottom fishing set up based around 50lb braid and waters 60'-350' deep...lead is 4-20 oz...If this is up to snuff I may just need a rod...weighing my options.  Thanks and Merry Christmas!

This is great for braid. With the Tib Frame and Spool you have it will handle just fine. But if your bottom fishing I might hold up on the SS 5:1 gears as the 4:1 may be better for yanking those guys out of their holes. I would just replace it with a steel gear set. Now with that said the 5:1 SS gears will hold up great and handle with out a prob just lose a little torque. If fishing over 10# drag I would opt for the SS gears. Just my 2 cents

coastal_dan

Thanks!  Great, I think I'll do some practice drops off the local bridge and reel up some water jugs to see what happens...rather have it fail on dry land than out there.  I'm thinking of doing the double dog and the S.S. spacers for now...as far as a rod I'm keen on the Ugly Stik Tiger Lite 5'-8" XH...
Dan from Philadelphia...