Okuma Titus T 30II repair problem

Started by jwkillntime, September 05, 2014, 10:34:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jwkillntime

Free spool with drag problem. Have taken the reel apart three times trying to find the problem. Have wiped the drag as clean as possible. Have cleaned and oiled the bearings. May get one pounds of drag at strike with eight seconds of free spool. Any and all suggestions appreciated.
Have got to be missing something somewhere.

Rebuilt a TLD 25 last night and it has lots of free spool with 18 lb. of drag at strike. 

Thank You,

jwkillntime

Believe I may have figured out my problem. Inside the Lever Drag handle (key 605) there are two protrusions which are suppose to mesh with the Lever Block (key 602) to increase or decrease drag. The two protrusions have worn down to the point where they no longer mesh together and move the Lever Block to increase drag. Therefore, the only way I was able to increase drag was to turn the Cast Control Cap (key 600); as a result no free spool.
If a new Lever Drag handle (key 605) doesn't fix the problem will add a reply post.

ijlal

Quote from: jwkillntime on September 10, 2014, 04:21:42 PM
Believe I may have figured out my problem. Inside the Lever Drag handle (key 605) there are two protrusions which are suppose to mesh with the Lever Block (key 602) to increase or decrease drag. The two protrusions have worn down to the point where they no longer mesh together and move the Lever Block to increase drag. Therefore, the only way I was able to increase drag was to turn the Cast Control Cap (key 600); as a result no free spool.
If a new Lever Drag handle (key 605) doesn't fix the problem will add a reply post.

You DO increase the drag by that knob, which is not a cast control, but drag preset. You should always move that cap with the drag lever in free spool position.
I live 'fishing'!

jwkillntime

ijlal, thank you for your reply. With Okuma the knob to increase drag is called "Cast Control Cap", Shimano calls the some knob "Pre-Program Dial". You are 100% correct that the Okuma "Lever Drag" and the Shimano "Drag Control Lever" and what ever it is called on other lever drag reels should be Free Spool position before tightening the knob to avoid damage to the reel. Also, the lever should be engaged (I put mine at strike) before washing and/or rinsing to avoid water intrusion, such reels should be stored with the lever in free spool.

Best Of Fishing To You,
Jwkillntime

jonnou

Hope it works for you
If not
Did you have lever and cam right back in freespool  position when reassembling?
Is this graphite or aluminum reel?

jwkillntime

jonnou, have the graphite reel. Yes, lever was in free spool when reassembled. However, as I wrote, the inside of the lever drag handle was worn to the point it would not mesh/engage the cam. Great news, called Okuma a week ago, left a message, Mike called me back. He mailed me a new lever drag handle at no charge except for shipping. Now that is fantastic customer service. Compared the inside of the old and new lever drag handle and it was very obvious that the protrusions inside the old handle were completely worn out. Installed the new lever drag handle and the reel is working great.
Will put it to the real test Monday 9-20-2014 for King Mackerel in the Gulf Of Mexico. It's great being retired; can fish anytime the weather is right

Best Of Fishing To You,
jwkillntime

jonnou

Glad you got it sorted
wish I was retired!!
me just tired

TomT

Glad you got it sorted
wish I was retired!!
me just tired

Either one beats me as I am both "tired" and "retired". ;) ;)
TomT