1st. Rod repair-Bamboo Help-Guide repair question

Started by Big Tim, September 07, 2014, 04:53:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Big Tim

First off it's all Rockfish Ninja's fault(after seeing his post). The second I saw this rod at a yard sale today I knew I would buy it clean it and then restore it for one of my Jigmasters ... Even though I have never fixed on any part of any rod before.

Questions:
1) What glue to re glue the wood butt to the handle?
2) Will just covering the existing wraps with flexcoat be enough? I will rock fish this thing  ;D
3) should I varnish the rod or leave it be?

I'm sure my $4 purchase is going to be a bit more now! 6' Montague Sport King...Guessing #30 rating

Newell Nut

Go to Mudhole.com and buy the rod building two part epoxy for the handle. If any squeezes out after shoving everything together just put some denatured alcohol on a paper towel and wipe it off and stand it in the corner for a couple hours.

TechTeach

Yeah what he said.

If it were me? Any two part epoxy to glue the handle will work. After that avoid the flex coat and leave it as is and hang it on the wall. That rod is too nice to fish.

Nice find.
"Where's that damn dog spring??????"

Jeri

Hi Big Tim,

What a fantastic find, and in such good condition – all original, and still with the original makers decal. You should perhaps not take this fishing, but as suggested mount it on the wall, or just put it away for safe keeping – in a few years it will be worth a lot more as a collector's item, and your investment would certainly increase.

The handle, just need a two- part epoxy resin, clean excess off with denatured alcohol – easy fix.

The rest of the rod, just needs a clean. Split cane rods were originally coated with yacht varnish, as were then the whippings over the rings. There lies the problem, as getting original yacht varnish these days is very difficult – as everyone uses the various synthetic varnishes like polyurethanes.

From the looks of things, I would leave it alone, and just clean the rings of the little green tarnish with scotchbrite and a gentle detergent. Leave to dry, then give the whole rod a coating of a domestic wood polish for protection.

Match it up with a restored period reel, and mount it on a wall, and enjoy.

Hope that helps.

Cheers from sunny Africa

Jeri

the rockfish ninja

Ear's a burnin ;) but good that my post inspired you. ;D and don't blame me for the fishing rod addiction, we all have it. 8)

1- Two part epoxy will work fine and don't hesitate to use the most modern & effective product, no need to stay old skool on parts that need to perform.
2- I'd stay away from flex coat and stay old skool with varnish or lacquer, BECAUSE I WOULD ONLY FISH THAT ROD ONCE, just to give it credibility of catching a fish, then I'd just display it (*or sell it)
3- YES YES YES VARNISH!!! (and be careful with the Montague emblem/label)

* I just throw that out there because during my project I found that my 5' freshwater casting rod was not worth much but the fly rods & boat rods (like yours) were fetching good prices online. If mine was a high dollar item I might have sold it and bought a couple reels. ;D  A couple other tidbits I might add is that Mudhole is the biggest rod building supplier these days but if you have to find the silk thread to re-wrap a guide go to one of the bamboo fly rod supply companies, they're sticklers about details and know Montague well. The other is take some time on the guides, they don't perform as well as modern ones and need a bit of care for peak performance. 0000 steel wool to clean off the oxidation and a good buffing with a tough rag worked for me.

Good luck on the project, $4 bucks at a garage sale?!! That is precious baby!!! ;D
Deadly Sebastes assassin.

Steve-O

Hey BigTim, Nice Score!  I think everyone has pretty much covered the gamut of good advice from hang it on the wall to fish it.  My 2 cents? do both! I did that with mine. It's an old Japanese circa post war Japan era probably early 1950's. Welcome Rod Company is the brand with the Chrysanthemum crest under the text.

Here are the thread links if you're interested.  Looking back the only thing I would have done differently would have been a different more period looking epoxy or glue for the re-wrapped guides. But since mine was not a period correct attempt at restoration, I went with the fishing in mind and wanted a strong re-build. I busted some nice Halibut and rock fish with it in Icy Straits, Alaska in 2011. I used a modern two speed Omoto reel on it  and it was never in danger of breaking or even being overpowered by the fish I caught on it.  it felt like it could have gone head to head with bottom fish over 100# or perhaps some Tuna or other hot gamefish in the 40-50 pound range.

It was and is a neat treasure find just like yours.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Steve

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=1656.0

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=2341.0

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=1597.0

Big Tim

FANTASTIC input guys!!! I am going to fix the handle...re seal the original threading...oil up the wood...do a little body work on the reel seat and polish up the guides a bit. Then catch a fish on it, take a picture and hang it on the wall.

Big Tim  ;D ;D ;D

Marcq

Nice find !! Love those old school rod  8)

Marc..

Big Tim

I am guessing this rod is 1950's ??? I am guessing it's about a #30 class...I want to match the right reel for it ...Penn 885, Del Mar??? Input please

Big Tim

Big Tim

Ok...So I went with a $10 Surfmaster 200, that I cleaned up & I removed both fore and rear grips...Shortened by 3/8" to fit old reel seat, cleaned up the original threading and hit with flex kote then a buff and polish job with Penn Reel oil/cleaner and furniture oil/sealer...I left a little Ratt Rod to it for character...Gunna just hang it on the wall! ... My wife says it too pretty to fish now  ;D ;D ;D

Shark Hunter

Good Job Big T! I actually searched for a while looking for one of these. I had no luck without spending some big coin. Hang on to that brother, your frugalness has paid off again! ;)
Life is Good!

Big Tim

Guide repair question: The first guide ring is loose...Question, are these brazed, soldered, ect.??? Can I fix it myself???