Post up your Kayaks!

Started by coastal_dan, September 08, 2014, 04:25:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

coastal_dan

After quite a bit of searching and oogling at all the beautiful reels I figured we could share some of our Plastic endeavors as well.

I'm a Hobie owner through and through...some people say it isn't "true kayaking" but bite me...I love these boats and the mirage drive is the bees knees.

'Ahab' is a 2008 Hobie Outback with quite a few upgrades...

I've done quite a few changes since these photos, but I'll take some more this weekend when I head out. 

Anyone else?
Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

Shark Hunter

Ocean Kayak trident. I just use it for getting baits out. Still all stock.
Life is Good!

coastal_dan

Great looking boat!  I only hear great things about the Trident 13.  Their Rod Pod and flip down hatch for the fish finder / GPS is especially sweet.
Dan from Philadelphia...

Shark Hunter

I want to at least add a depth finder. For being so narrow, its pretty stable. I just wanted something fast and stable. I saw a video on you tube of a guy chasing a pod of dolphins on one. It sold me. ;)
Here it is. He also had his 10 year old son with him. It can take some chop and move pretty quick.
Life is Good!

floating doc

I'm old school, but this is what I have. Kayaks weren't really the thing when I bought this in the 1970's. Fully accessorized with my son in the front.

Central Florida

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

cwillis85

That canoe shot reminds me of my dad and I in his old fiberglass canoe. Loved that thing, learned to fish in it and he build a custom platform on it so I could participate in the carp shoots. Good pic
Chris

floating doc

Thanks for the comments. I have an idea of rigging it with a sail, or trolling motor, but life gets in the way.
Central Florida

Shark Hunter

I spent many a day in a Smoker Craft Aluminum Canoe with my Uncle fishing the lakes here in Kentucky.
Life is Good!

floating doc

Quote from: Shark Hunter on September 09, 2014, 03:52:43 AM
I spent many a day in a Smoker Craft Aluminum Canoe with my Uncle fishing the lakes here in Kentucky.

Those were good canoes.
Central Florida

Steve-O

Cobra Fish-n-Dive. In a moment of temporary brainlessness, I sold it and the Cobra Tandem. Bought an Ocean Kayak right away. Pocketed a bunch of $$$ from the sale and only outlayed 3 bills for the O.K.....so I feel better now.

Hobie mirage drive yaks are the Grail IMO and hope to own one if I retire on the west coast somewhere near Crescent City ,CA and Brookings, OR. For now chasing the golden ones (big carp) is my game.

coastal_dan

Gadzooks that's a big carp!  Nice catch.  Funny how I always remember Carp being "junk" fish that tear up local ponds but they seem to be a real sport fish from what I've seen recently.

You may just get your chance at a great deal on a Hobie with the 2015's coming out, I have a feeling the market will be flooded with 2010-2014 boats.
Dan from Philadelphia...

Shark Hunter

I've caught a few of those.
Life is Good!

floating doc

I agree, both about the carp being tough fish and the comment about the hobie kayaks. There's another line of kayaks that's peddled; instead of the fins that the hobie kayaks use for propulsion, they have a propeller and thus can be reversed. Useful when hooking a big fish next to cover.
Central Florida

Steve-O

CoastalDan,

Like your rig. How stable is it? My cobra fish n dive was 36" beam and would not tip or roll no matter how crazy you got. My Ocean Kayak is about a third less stable but I keep myself centerlined usually. There's a local hobie yak sale for $950 ..the Hank Parker angler edition. Emailed the seller...still waiting. Have heard the early model pre09 had hull cracking issues near the drive mount. Any issues with yours?